free website stats program 02 Ultra tripping 50 amp main breaker | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Ultra tripping 50 amp main breaker

The DC amp meter I borrowed clamp is to big to get down between battery and the wires coming off the circuit breaker. But I checked while running 14+ volts (high idle) the silver pole on the circuit breaker got really hot. I removed breaker trimmed back collar on the terminal ends good clean, tight connection. Put shrink rap on the terminal ends reinstalled breaker. The 2 wires on the silver pole 1 goes to DC side ofthe voltage regulator the other does a few things fuse to security alarm, key switch ign relay, to ign switch, I switched key switch relay with start relay no difference. I have installed new ign key switch already. Not that great on electrial issues. My 02 Ultra is EFI.

I checked while running 14+ volts (high idle) the silver pole on the circuit breaker got really hot. I removed breaker trimmed back collar on the terminal ends good clean, tight connection. Put shrink rap on the terminal ends reinstalled breaker.

After doing the work, does the circuit breaker still get hot.

Like Hoop says, does that wire/silver terminal still get hot? No wiring should get HOT under any circumstances, as they are fused (downstream) and sized for the amount of current doubled what they are to handle, and should AT MOST get only very slightly warm i.e. the heavy cables going to battery/starter/solenoid. Light interconnect wiring should be cool/cold to the touch. Sounds like you found a short circuit/leakage path at the circuit breaker or one of the branches that wire feeds. Remember current can backfeed if ground path has opened so current has to flow thru multiple paths...and fuses not normally in the circuit..."fan out" if you will...:s

[The 2 wires on the silver pole 1 goes to DC side ofthe voltage regulator the other does a few things fuse to security alarm, key switch ign relay, to ign switch]

This thread has been real interestin, but I can't tell "which" breaker is getting hot ? Obviously not the Maxi since it's tripping right ?

But I agree you guys are getting close to solving this if the breaker is getting hot and not tripping then "fortunately" for the harness the Maxi is.

This thread has been real interestin, but I can't tell "which" breaker is getting hot ? Obviously not the Maxi since it's tripping right ?

My guess it's got to be the one right next to the regulator & starter in this attachment.

Attachments

• DC_breaker.jpg
    DC_breaker.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 23
Thanks Hoop, here is your pic in a PDF that's zoomable and panable.

Attachments

• DC_breaker.pdf
    215 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the tip on how to do this R_W_B. I always wanted to attach single pages of schematics and couldn't do it until now. Here is the entire page.:)

Attachments

• fe01a.pdf
    71.4 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the tip on how to do this R_W_B. I always wanted to attach single pages of schematics and couldn't do it until now. Here is the entire page.:)

Hoop I must be blind but I don't see the Maxi on that schematic ? I do see the text reference to it, but where is the symbol ?

BTW it's neat when you post up various manual pages like this cause I just saved it to my computer under 2002_FLs_MainHarness. This way your database can become mine too.

I have seen the heat created by poor conections as a result of either or any of the following Loose connections, Corrosion, Rusty terminals, and others cause enough heat that with normal current flow thru the breaker and the additional heat from the poor conection would cause the breaker to trip. This can happen with circut breakers in many different applications. There should be little or no heat created at any connection. If there is heat there is a problem that can manifest itself into multiple issues. The current flow thru the breaker causes heat which operates a thermal switch. The problem is it can't tell the difference between heat generated by current flowing or heat from a poor conection. When I installed a new voltage regulator I had to wire brush the rust off of one or both of the terminals on the breaker. I used some silicone grease to coat the terminals after the terminals had been reinstalled. Electrical connections must be clean and tight, the grease prevents moisture from causing rust or corrosion degrading the connection.

Back