free website stats program 02 Road King Light Load Vibration & Rattle/Grating Noise | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

02 Road King Light Load Vibration & Rattle/Grating Noise

I will say that on my 2008 EG when after having replaced the IPB at dealer I believed that there was also another bearing noise. The longer I rode over the summer the quieter the primary got also.

Well here is another follow up...cant believe this but here goes, lol.

I was noticing a strange, pulsing vibe again today and noticed my exhaust riding extra close to my swingarm cover lower bolt again. I thought that very odd, so as I was investigating it closer...my flashlight caught this:

Rock2-M.jpg

Rockchafe-L.jpg

Rockitself-L.jpg

So....my mystery noise, vibration, etc....was this offending, hidden rock the whole time!!

It was wedged in so tight that it was literally swinging my suspension pivot at the swingarm enough to put exhaust into the pivot bolt.

Took some doing, but I got it out finally.

You can see how badly it chafed my swingarm and frame.

Now, in my defense before everyone says "You should have easily seen that", yeah...I probably should have. But its one of those things, if you didn't hit it with the flashlight just right, you wouldn't have seen it.

That and I never would have believed a rock that big, could have wedged in that spot so hard for so many miles!

At least when I tore my whole primary apart, it made me finally fix a leak I had been procrastinating fixing for a long time, changed out my worn forward engine mount too, so it wasn't a total waste of time anyway. ;-)

Thanks again everyone for your patience with me and your help.

Hopefully someone else will learn from my experience here during their search!!

Last edited:
Wow...that is crazy, but I'm glad you got it figured out and shared your experience as well. Thank you for the update. :)

Finding the rock was the gift for a job well done on the primary..........;)

Back