free website stats program 02 road king classic info | Harley Davidson Forums

02 road king classic info

djwill

I am looking at an 02 flhrci with 10k miles.

Anything I should check out specifically on this model on a pre-buy inspection?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome
The most common problem I'm aware of is the Spring loaded cam chain tensioner, it's a problem on all TC88s except the 06 Dyna. And the only way to check it is by pulling the cam cover off. Best fix for it is a switch to Gear drive cams. Apx. $500 parts & labor.
Other than that they are great rides.

I have had the same bike since new. It now has 52,000 miles on it. I'm on my 4th set of cam shoes. Opened it up at 20,000 and original set was completely shot. Put in 3rd set at 30,000 - slightly worn but I was upgrading to a new cam so I replaced them. At 50,000 replace outer shoe only. Inner shoe was fine. I know others who didn't show much wear at 40,000 miles though. It just depends on the tolerance build up in the parts. If loose they tend to wear quicker.

The only other problem I've had is the jack shaft primary seal. I'm on the third seal. Again, I know other guys who have 50k+ miles and have never had a seal problem.

Overall, it's been a great bike.. Hope to put on several thousand more miles before retiring it.

$troker

The 02's were one of the better ones. As mentioned above, the cam chain tensioners were the weak link. Common practice is to check them starting at around 20K miles and replace if necessary.

It seems to help on replacement if you polish the cam chain surface where it rides on the tensioners so there is less wear on the tensioners. Being it is apart, it's a good idea anyway.

I have an '02 FLHRI that I bought used this past August with 13000kms on it. As previously mentioned, the only issue is the cam chain thing but my indy said mine won't need to be looked at until around 40000kms so I have a ways to go yet.

I haven't had as much time to ride mine as I would have liked due to the fact that I got it later in the season but from my experience with it so far...I have no regrets at all.

Tom

I have had my Road king Classic since march 2000 only thing that went wrong with it in 7 years was the sensor on the end of the crankshaft, it has done 19,000 miles no leaks or break downs,I am well pleased with it.

John.

Back