free website stats program 02 RK cut off while riding, now won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

02 RK cut off while riding, now won't start

oldscoolz

2002 FLHRI has been running fine.
yesterday was out riding for about 20 mins, made a sharp turn up a hill and bike cut off.
rolled it down to a flat area and tried to restart but starter wouldn't crank.
initially would just get a click.
then ignition lights wouldn't even come on.
trailered it home.
today ignition lights came on like normal. hit the start switch and got one click, no crank. after that, the ignition lights wouldn't even come on.
checked battery and is fine.
don't see any blown fuses in fusebox.

suspicious that its the bike tilt sensor (forgot what the real name for this thing is). is there a reset for that?
could a bad ignition module cause the bike to cut off while riding?
should there be a code stored and how do i get the code?

appreciate any and all help. thanks. quentin?

That all sounds like a poor connection to the battery you really need to take off the 2 main battery cables and clean both ends and there connection points and see if that helps

Brian

+1 On Fin's advice. Both ends of both cables need to be taken apart cleaned and reconnected. After that, the battery is your next place to start troubleshooting.

Load test the Battery first:s Check the connections at the starter for corrosion and tightness Apply some di-lectric grease to all CLEAN connections

Occam's Razor law states the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. In this case, that would be battery, or battery cable, something that's causing the battery to not deliver its full capacity. :bigsmiley12:

Alan

If the battery and battery cables check out Ok, then check out the main circuit breaker. If you have not replaced it then I would suggest upgrading to a 50 amp breaker.

I would bet if you replace the battery, clean and tighten cables, it will take care of the problem. Batteries fail in these temps at a high rate.

thank you all. ur absolutely right. it was battery connections. i had tested the voltage across the battery posts and of course that looked ok, but hadnt really checked out the connections. thanks for the help. this was an easy fix for what i thought was goin to be an involved electrical problem. i had problems a couple years ago with the turn signal security module that took a while to figure out, and i was afraid this was goin to be a replay of that!

anybody got a description of how to check for trouble codes? i vaguely remember it involving using the odometer reset button?

thank you all. ur absolutely right. it was battery connections. i had tested the voltage across the battery posts and of course that looked ok, but hadnt really checked out the connections. thanks for the help. this was an easy fix for what i thought was goin to be an involved electrical problem. i had problems a couple years ago with the turn signal security module that took a while to figure out, and i was afraid this was goin to be a replay of that!

anybody got a description of how to check for trouble codes? i vaguely remember it involving using the odometer reset button?

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-729.html Glad you found your problem:s

Back