free website stats program 02 FXDL cuts out | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

02 FXDL cuts out

I took it back. I am not sure which one it was, you may be correct. It did fit the plug.

I keep a log of my miles and i noticed that when i was using my HI-4tc ignition, i did not have any cut outs. I used this for some time. I went back to the stock ignition for a number of reasons, and that is when i started to notice the cut outs. I have since replaced the HI-4tc to see what happens.

That is very strange because on your bike the neutral safety switch is only a switch and a bulb. There is no interlock tied into the start relay circuit. You can start your bike in gear. That is normal. The TSM/Speedo/ICM do not actually know if the bike is in gear or not. That's a feature that would be on an ECM (Fuel injected) bike. On FI bikes the ECM knows the bike is in neutral.

What is the part number of the scan device you purchased from HD. It is almost like the device is not for your model year carb bike.
I do not recall i just returned it.

I have replaced the stock ignition since i have an aftermarket, i will see if that makes a difference.

I got a friend that was having problems with his bike cutting off and found out is was the ignition switch that was at fault his lights stayed on also just a thought

Just a follow up on this problem. To answer Hoople's question the trouble code reader was correct and it covers a lot of years - maybe that is the issue with that. I reinstalled an after market ignition and so far the bike has not cut out on me. I have only been on a few rides totaling about 250 miles, so i will keep posting here as it may help someone else as an attempt to solve this cut out problem.

Zip

Back