free website stats program 02' Electra Classic front end knocks over bumps | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

02' Electra Classic front end knocks over bumps

OK I did the stationarry expirement (hold the front brake and pushing the handle bars so the forks compress) and had the wife listen to where the knock is coming from. it appears to be comming from the forks near the top. She also noticed that the forks still move down in their stroke slightly after the "Knock" noise is heard, so bottoming doesn't appear to be the issue. I am not to fimiliar with what is inside these forks, but am curious: What could make this knocking noise?
Still scratching my head on this one:34:

Any Ideas would be appreciated!

OK I did the stationarry expirement (hold the front brake and pushing the handle bars so the forks compress) and had the wife listen to where the knock is coming from. it appears to be comming from the forks near the top. She also noticed that the forks still move down in their stroke slightly after the "Knock" noise is heard, so bottoming doesn't appear to be the issue. I am not to fimiliar with what is inside these forks, but am curious: What could make this knocking noise?
Still scratching my head on this one:34:

Any Ideas would be appreciated!

Since you had the forks apart do you have enough oil in them?

This may be a long shot but have you inspected your motormounts for wear and to see if they might be loose?

As far as oil level goes, I had my Indi replace the oil in both forks and he knows what he's doing, and I did check the motor mounts, and they are nice and snug with no loose bolts. What is in the forks that can mke a knocking noise- when not bottomed out?
Remember: this is a 2002 so one fork is standard and the other is cartrige - (Thus the reason why I took them in to the Indi to have them filled.) Hoping to not have to pull tthe entire front end appart to mess with the forks again, as this was not a fun task...

Oh boy - this is exactly the problem I am having with a 2003 Ultra and why I joined the forum!

My left fork does a pronounced "clack - clack" on the down stroke and up stroke rebound when the front wheel impacts a major irregularity like a manhole cover or pavement mismatch. I can also create the same noise (although not nearly as loud) by exercising the front forks up and down in a standing position. In the latter it is easy to identify the noise is actually coming from the left fork "cartridge".

My mechanic and I did a complete rebuild of the front forks which is when it began and we have had the darn thing out and torn down again a second time, reassembled and tightened the adjustment all the way down on the cartridge and still have the same problem. Pulling the forks on a dresser is a pain to begin with, so I would like to get it corrected nest time around.

It acts as though there may be a gap between the cartridge and its upper and lower stop positions. I'm about ready to do the conversion back to standard forks, or perhaps the Progressive Cartridge Fork is the answer.
Bike runs aout fine, but the clack-clack noise is irritating and suggests a future problem.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Had the same problem with my 08 drove me crazy turned out to be a front wheel bearing gone bad. Found it one day while doing pre ride checks had it on the jack w/ the front wheel slightly off the ground, and while I was cleaning it the bike would rock a little and the front wheel would hit the ground making the same noise that had been driving me nuts. Just sayin. :s

same problem on my 94 fatboy. tank, engine mounts and all from end components secured. oil correct. haven't found the problem to date. started some 25000 miles ago. still going strong til i hit a bump pretty good :)

Back