free website stats program Zurich vehicle service contract for motorcycles | Harley Davidson Forums

Zurich vehicle service contract for motorcycles

ironmark

I have been thinking about getting a extended warranty for my bike and I stopped at a HD dealer and they were trying to push the Zurich extended warranty on me . The Zurich plan cost around $1,450 for 5 more years so it is about the same as the HD plan . Has anyone heard of this warranty company & has anyone had any work done using the Zurich warranty plan . The only selling point that the salesman was pushing was that you can have the work done at a HD dealer or a Independent shop and the bike would be cover at both .

Your luck might be different but I've never known anyone who had the warranty pay off for them. That goes for the HD Zurich contract and the ones sold for cars and trucks.

Your luck might be different but I've never known anyone who had the warranty pay off for them. That goes for the HD Zurich contract and the ones sold for cars and trucks.

You must not have read any of the Extended Warranty threads very closely. :p

Every time a thread gets started about these things, there are guys telling stories about how one major repair justified the cost of the warranty. I'm sure it's true for many people, too. But nobody would sell these warranties if, taken as a whole, they did not make lots of money for the warranty companies. It's a fact that the odds are against you being one of the few to actually have this deal pay off. But if you do, you should go out and buy a lottery ticket, too!

It's actually helpful to think of it more as a different type of insurance. You're paying "premiums" just in case something happens, just like an insurance policy.

You must not have read any of the Extended Warranty threads very closely. :p

Every time a thread gets started about these things, there are guys telling stories about how one major repair justified the cost of the warranty. I'm sure it's true for many people, too. But nobody would sell these warranties if, taken as a whole, they did not make lots of money for the warranty companies. It's a fact that the odds are against you being one of the few to actually have this deal pay off. But if you do, you should go out and buy a lottery ticket, too!

It's actually helpful to think of it more as a different type of insurance. You're paying "premiums" just in case something happens, just like an insurance policy.

I have read the extended warranty threads very closely ! I also know that the extended warranty plan is a roll of the dice and I also know that with the upgrades on my bike the warranty company will try to back out of paying for repairs ect ect . I have not heard of this Zurich company and I was wondering why a HD dealer would push this plan over the HD plan ( besides more $$$ in their pocket ) and if there are any members that has this plan & had to have work done using this warranty plan !! I would like to have the peace of mind knowing that my bike is covered but I dont want to throw my $$$ away either . 1 trans break down would pay for the $$ spent on a extended warranty and I have read about the 6 speed trans having problems . Also I got my 08 RG on 8/20/08 and I have over 30,000 miles on the bike so it don't sit around like most bikes , I could have over 100,000 miles on my bike in the next 5 years while other motorcycles would be lucky to see 30K in 7 years .

Just so there is no beginnings of hard feelings, I think Dr. D was responding to Scrounger's comment in regards to not reading the extended warranty threads :D

Just so there is no beginnings of hard feelings, I think Dr. D was responding to Scrounger's comment in regards to not reading the extended warranty threads :D

There are no hard feelings at all , I am just explaining the facts . I been reading about the extended warranties for some time and I am still tossing a coin on a extended warranty & if I didn't log the miles that I do I would not even consider a extended warranty . But it is getting down to crunch time on a decision and this is the 1st time I have heard of this company and I am just looking for some input on the + & - on a independent warranty company compaired to the HD plan .

You ride you decide, its a lot of money, I have used my extended warranty several times, I justify it because my bike is my only transportation:D

You are 100% correct! I just had to respond when he said that he NEVER had heard of an extended warranty paying off for someone. Well, I just now went back and reread his post and it says he's never KNOWN anyone that it paid off for. Slight difference, I guess.

Ironmark - everyone's situation is unique and only you can decide. You do put a LOT more miles on your bike than I do so it might be a good decision in your case. However, one thing that's been brought up before and is worth keeping in mind when you say you've heard about problems with a certain component or bike - it is the nature of a forum like this that the vast majority of posts concern problems people are having with their bikes. It's only natural that the more time we hang out on these forums, the more we start to feel like all bikes are destined to have big issues eventually. I don't believe this is the case. I'll bet there are thousands of Harleys out there with high mileage but, having been meticulously maintained, no big problems.

You are 100% correct! I just had to respond when he said that he NEVER had heard of an extended warranty paying off for someone. Well, I just now went back and reread his post and it says he's never KNOWN anyone that it paid off for. Slight difference, I guess.

Ironmark - everyone's situation is unique and only you can decide. You do put a LOT more miles on your bike than I do so it might be a good decision in your case. However, one thing that's been brought up before and is worth keeping in mind when you say you've heard about problems with a certain component or bike - it is the nature of a forum like this that the vast majority of posts concern problems people are having with their bikes. It's only natural that the more time we hang out on these forums, the more we start to feel like all bikes are destined to have big issues eventually. I don't believe this is the case. I'll bet there are thousands of Harleys out there with high mileage but, having been meticulously maintained, no big problems.

No hard feelings on my side at all. I've read the posts on the forum, but I personally have never had a riding buddy or anyone I've met and the topic came up, mention that it paid off for them. Having sold them in the car space, the margins are huge and they are rarely exercised. LOTS of exceptions on the auto side, not as many on the bike.

It's all a personal choice I guess.

Back