free website stats program Your Favourite Riding Book or Magazine | Harley Davidson Forums

Your Favourite Riding Book or Magazine

I'm a learn-by-reading person. I recently started riding. The original book I was reading was the provincial licensing manual. (Very dry ... and very boring.)

Then, because I'm a learn-by-reading person (And I'd been in the ditch) I decided to look at my local bookstore to find something that might be easier to read, and might have some information that I could use. (And not put me to sleep :small3d035:)

They had in stock "Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well" by David L. Hough. It had the same basic information that the provincial licensing manual had, but it was much more interestingly presented.

After doing the tests required, and receiving my license, I looked again for another book. I then found "Mastering the Ride: More proficient motorcycling", also by David L. Hough. (I glanced through that one, and bought it, but I think it's more advanced than I am, at the moment. Perhaps after I've ridden for a few years, I might be able to read and understand it.)

I also have been reading a variety of motorcycling magazines, the primary one being "American Iron: for people who love Harley Davidson."

So, what do you read, for entertainment, for learning, or for licensing?

I read American Iron Magazine They have Good tech info and riding skills sections:s

I just wish all the mags didn't have so many advertisements. The amount of actual reading material has gotten very minimal for the money IMO.

There is one book that covers all the basics of riding a motorcycle and takes a dedicated day or lazy weekend to read. "Let's Ride" is an easy guide to riding that has some refreshing tips. It was written by Sonny Barger, the Hells Angels original President. Barger has other books-- "Freedom" has thoughtful perspectives of life on 2 wheels, and "Ridin' High, Livin' Free" has his wild biker stories.

:44:

Thank you, all for your replies. They all sound great. I have many of the American Iron Magazines. I also have Cycle World, and a few other motorcycle magazines
Some time ago, (Like, late last fall) I wrote a letter to American Iron Magazine. This month, they printed it. I was seriously shocked. (I'm afraid I'd presumed the letters received simply went into the Recycle Bin)
The most unfortunate part of it is that I sent a letter a short time after that one, and asked them not to print it; My husband had cartwheeled his bike, so even the picture was out of date. But, perhaps the retracting letter landed in the recycle bin(?)
at any rate, I have a letter in there.
Neat, eh?:s

Thank you, all for your replies. They all sound great. I have many of the American Iron Magazines. I also have Cycle World, and a few other motorcycle magazines
Some time ago, (Like, late last fall) I wrote a letter to American Iron Magazine. This month, they printed it. I was seriously shocked. (I'm afraid I'd presumed the letters received simply went into the Recycle Bin)
The most unfortunate part of it is that I sent a letter a short time after that one, and asked them not to print it; My husband had cartwheeled his bike, so even the picture was out of date. But, perhaps the retracting letter landed in the recycle bin(?)
at any rate, I have a letter in there.
Neat, eh?:s

:sI saw your letter, nicely done, is all OK with your husband and bike?

I like "cyclesource" magazine and "the horse".
WAP.gif

Back