free website stats program Young Man - But Not Gettin' Any Younger ... | Harley Davidson Forums

Young Man - But Not Gettin' Any Younger ...

GRC123

I need some good, sound, solid - SAGE - ADVISE, along somewhat similar lines ...

I'm trying (REAL HARD!) to be Honest with myself here.

I've had four back-surgeries (spinal) in the last 16 years (two on the low-back in `92, and two on the neck. My neck was fused six years ago, and I just had the halves of three vertebrae removed from it a month and-a-half ago) ...

Just to make things interestin', one of my legs was "badly crushed" (to quote the surgeon) on the job, two years ago (full of titanium now, and though not as nimble as it used to be, still plenty strong - currently).

The work. comp. insurance company has made an initial settlement offer (which my lawyer has advised me to reject) and I've been thinking (seriously) about getting back up on two wheels (for LOTS of "reasons" - all of which I know that you ALL are familiar with). Specifically, I've decided it's time to Live a Little - again.

I haven't ridden in 16 years. I sold (for several reasons) the 850cc "motorcycle" I had back then shortly after the two low-back surgeries ...

Though I'm probably in better PHYSICAL (ha)-condition (overall) than the "average" 48 year-old, they (docs) tell me due to the nature of the spine condition, it's "about 10 years advanced" in "age" (48 yr-old w/ a 60 yr-old busted-back, and a 20 yr-old HARD-head?).

Anybody wanna chime-in on whether you think I might be (edited :newsmile055:) myself here? If I get another motorcycle, it ain't with the idea of lettin' it sit all week and look pretty (NOT for weekends only) It would be to ride every day possible.

All replies welcome. Thanks in advance. Keep `er Vertical.

Glenn

Last edited:
I would consult your with you doc. Maybe go to a dealer and sit on several bikes and see what you posture might be and if it feels right. Heck i'm sure if you tell the dealer you situation a honest dealer may even give you some advice on how to make so you are comfy.

Have you considered the new HD trike? Made specifically for riders who need the extra stability due to special needs. Go for it.

All of the tourers are very rider friendly like Ridin' your couch down the road. Its really how much you can take after miles and miles. You could always rent several different models to try them and yourself out. Good luck and remember things have changed out there since you last rode

I ran through some of the same thought processes a couple years ago. Got back on the bike after 18 years because:
1) Kids were older and into a lot of their own "things"
2) I was getting older and really missed riding
3) Had several middle aged friends-of-friends die from cancer/tumor/etc
4) I could afford it
5) Decided not to keep making excuses and waiting for the "perfect" time to get back at it

As far as the back stuff - check with doctor but they're probably going to be real conservative. Best thing would be to rent a bike for an entire day or even a weekend and see how it feels. Rememeber though, even with a good back, riding uses different muscles than driving or just sitting so it's normal to be a little sore afterwards.

I also was going to suggest a trike if actual leg/back strength or balance was an issue but someone beat me to it.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes!!

Glenn

I think you have some great suggestions. Check with the doc. If you can and want to ride, rent to see what will suit your needs the best. Then ride safe and keep the rubber side down.

Hey thanks to everybody ... I'm actually jumpin' the gun a little bit here - I still have quite a bit of physical therapy to go, and I haven't even had my first follow-up with the neurosurgeon who cut the bones outta my neck yet (will be this coming Tuesday). I'm also counting chickens (dollars) before they're hatched - this work comp deal may take months yet, I really don't know (?) ..

Thanks again to all - I suppose I'm just sort of in the middle of things - not ready for a three-wheeler, but just not sure if I'll ever be able to handle a daily driver either. Additionally, this would absolutely be a "big ticket item purchase" for me considering the fact that I'm not only out of work (for months now), but trying to figure-out what I'm going to be able to do for a living for another 15 or 20 years. My days of gruntin' for my pay (for better or worse) are done.

The "rental" idea is a good one - I hadn't thought about that, but maybe that's because I dropped the "M" off my license several years ago as I had been carrying it since 1976 but hadn't even owned a bike since 1992

Keep `em Vertical folks ...
Glenn

Wow, you're in a tough situation but we all understand how when the motorcycle bug bites, it bites HARD!

Take your time and don't rush anything. Like you said this is a huge decision financially, medically, emotionally, and so on.

We're all here for you if you're looking for advice or encouragement but, of course, the final decision is yours. I'd be proud to come up and ride with you to celebrate overcoming all of these obstacles!

GRC,
I have had 3 back surgerys and the left knee worked on. I have the plates in the back as well. Im 49, the hurt comes and goes. I still have one more back cutting to go but putting it off as long as I can.... I have a Heritage Softail Classic and the ride is good. I can hang in the saddle for a good 1 1/2 hrs (pushing it) then have to stop and get off. sometimes less time, but you can always pull over and take a break. I am not an every day rider, mostly weekends, but enjoy the ride when I do. I am not saying get it.......you ask for comments....Hope all well and work out for you....:USA

Hey Doc Doo & Shag-man - thanks ... I'm just biding my time ... for once (and that may be simply due to the fact that I have have no other choice right now), thinking everything over slowly, will speak with the doc, the physical therapist, other friends, and of course some family members.

You guys are champs! I really appreciate the understanding, and of course the comments, advise - and even the opinions too! :D

Thanks again - I'll let you all now what transpires.
Glenn

Back