free website stats program yet another carb question (96 cvo) | Harley Davidson Forums

yet another carb question (96 cvo)

Beer Hound

96 fxstc 80 inch evo cv carb

I rebuilt the carb,new gaskets and o rings. The bike starts right up and does have a little spit back through the carb(fuel spray). I can get it to run good while sitting but when I put it in gear and try to go it pops and gets worse while riding unless I let it sit for a second ( all with out the air cleaner assembly). I had put a new float needle in it but it started pouring gas out of the over flow tube so I put the old one back in. Also the pet cock was replaced from a forward facing vacuum type to a downward facing on/off. Could the downward facing petcock slow the fuel or am I missing something. I have read the carb stuff here and on line, but I think I have too much info and need other opinions. Thanks!
I feel like a Dunderhead!

After re- reading this I am seriously thinking of fixing this with a Remington, or a Colt, or a Ruger, or a British 303, or.....

After re- reading this I am seriously thinking of fixing this with a Remington, or a Colt, or a Ruger, or a British 303, or.....

Dont do that the end result could be hazardous to your health, recheck the float height, the float it self could be bad, and could still be trash in the seat, did you blow out the carb with air?

Dont do that the end result could be hazardous to your health, recheck the float height, the float it self could be bad, and could still be trash in the seat, did you blow out the carb with air?

I have some long range stuff!:D

Good thought, I will re-clean again tomorrow, I very well have missed that.

The main problem was it popped and died on the road, the seal between the carb and intake manifold was crimped. I rebuilt the carb because of all the (EDIT) in it ( it was do to fail). and then the petcock started leaking after all the new fuel lines were installed. The bike had been sitting for a while.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck and We want to know, have a cold one and a good nights sleep, Jack:p

I think jack has you covered on this a good clean through the whole of the carb and ensure the float height is correct or you will get too much or too little fuel
for a quick visual check of float height plug some clear plastic tubing on the float bowl drain and stick it to the side of the carb and then open the drain screw and the level in the plastic tube will be the same as inside the float bowl if it is about 1/4 of the way down from the float bowl seal then that is about right

Brian

I think jack has you covered on this a good clean through the whole of the carb and ensure the float height is correct or you will get too much or too little fuel
for a quick visual check of float height plug some clear plastic tubing on the float bowl drain and stick it to the side of the carb and then open the drain screw and the level in the plastic tube will be the same as inside the float bowl if it is about 1/4 of the way down from the float bowl seal then that is about right

Brian

Now that is a neat trick! Thanks!

Back