free website stats program Yellow pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Yellow pipes

awall

I have a 09 Heritage Softail with 430 miles on it. I have not ridden it hard and I have followed the breakin recomendations. My farthest run has been about 40 miles. The exhaust pipes have turned yellow for the full length of header pipe. From engine to mufler. Is this a problem that needs to be looked at or is this normal? Thanks

Our great leader will tell you the problem , it is running a little hot IMO , but i do know is that once you get it rectified that a product called blue job will get the pipes looking normal again , its a little elbow grease but works even if they are blue

the new one run hot and will start blueing that just how they do now .. and cleaning does about nothing as they turn colors again

I have a 09 Heritage Softail with 430 miles on it. I have not ridden it hard and I have followed the breakin recomendations. My farthest run has been about 40 miles. The exhaust pipes have turned yellow for the full length of header pipe. From engine to mufler. Is this a problem that needs to be looked at or is this normal? Thanks

Yellow or gold is only the beginning, they will turn blue then purple, not a problem just the nature of the beast.

Thanks guys, I knew coloring was normal, but it just concerned me that the full length of the pipe all the way to the mufler was turning yellow. Most of what I have seen in the past did not color musch past the bend in the pipe. This is my first bike so I'm shure I'll have a lot of questions.

Thanks guys, I knew coloring was normal, but it just concerned me that the full length of the pipe all the way to the mufler was turning yellow. Most of what I have seen in the past did not color musch past the bend in the pipe. This is my first bike so I'm shure I'll have a lot of questions.

Fueler and heat shields!

TQ

As TQ says, the sooner the better. Metrics got around the problem by having very small diameter pipes then "double wall" with nice chrome one. Harleys' don't normally come stock with "double wall" pipes and so no surprise the change in color as Glider says, will continue to darken until blue...!

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_davidson_exhaust_related_issues/2113-exhaust_pipe_blueing.html

Or you can coat your pipes with silver all most alloy look, gotta search for the post Mattman4403 had his done, see post #10

http://www.hdtimeline.com/touring_models/13058-ceramic_coated_headers.html

Last edited:
Back