free website stats program yea, I know, a transmission oil questions | Harley Davidson Forums

yea, I know, a transmission oil questions

mi2az

Ok, From a previous post I told you I bought my RK. I need to start thinking about fluid changes.

For my trans, My question, do I go with a heaver weight or the normal weight of 75W/90.

I live in AZ, so I don't know if summer heat will be an issue with what weight oil I get.

Thanks

Smitty has you covered. I agree:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL snythetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, etc.)

Many of us here like the Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil. Also Redline Heavy ShockProof. Check it out.

TQ

Last edited:
Here in Florida I am running 75-140 year round with no problems:s

Ok, From a previous post I told you I bought my RK. I need to start thinking about fluid changes.

For my trans, My question, do I go with a heaver weight or the normal weight of 75W/90.

I live in AZ, so I don't know if summer heat will be an issue with what weight oil I get.

Thanks

Put back in what the bike came with.

Put back in what the bike came with.

I respectfully disagree with this recommendation. For the sake of reducing inventory carrying cost and adding complexity to the manufacturing line, HD has chosen to use the same product in the three separate and distinct applications found on the big twin air cooled engine/tranny assemblies. This does not optimize the benefit to those applications. The engine oil in the engine makes sense, but that same fluid in the transmission and Primary does not. My personal suggestion is as stated above and repeated here:

Engine: FULL synthetic 20W50 VTwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL synthetic 75W140 GL-5 gear lube
Primary: Fit-for-purpose chaincase/wet clutch lubricant (like HD Formula + or Spectro Primary, etc.)

For the Sporties and fluid-cooled bikes, there is a slightly different mix because of the requirement differences those bikes have.

TQ

Back