free website stats program xlch 1966 won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

xlch 1966 won't start

66 sporty 55

I bought a 66 xlch that has been sitting for about 2 years.
I cleaned the carb,set points,new plugs.checked timing
Changed all oils.
I checked spark seems ok but I am not familiar with magnetos.
It seems to be getting fuel.
The most I get is a pop.

Pull a plug & see if it's wet. There's a fine line between no fuel and too much fuel with a kick only engine. If the plug(s) are wet, hold the throttle wide open and clear engine with a couple of kicks. They don't have to be hard kicks. Then try starting without holding throttle open, or choke on. If plugs are dry, try dripping a teaspoon of gas into the carb. throat and see if it fires for a few revs. I prefer not using starting fluid, head gskt. damage can happen.
Be CAREFUL with that kicker, Ironheads have a well deserved reputation for ruining knees.

Breeze3at is right about taking care kicking it. I spent a month in a cast from the Knee down back int the late '70's due to Racketing on a '68 Iron Head. Tore all the Ligaments off my right ankle. Very PAINFULL. I also think blademan is correct on the Retard timing for starting. If memory serves me there is an Air Gap setting for the Magneto plus points settings. A friend had one when I meshed up my ankle. He was missing one of the set screws for mag. unit and it would slip out of adjustment from time to time. He would loosen the 1 remaining screw,slip in a business card, retighten and off to next Beer stop we'd go. Those were the Days.

Back