free website stats program XL883C Odd Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

XL883C Odd Noise

Can anyone help me? Sorry I do not know too much about motorcycles yet. This is my first one and I have only had it for about 6 months. Anyway after riding it today it started to make a weird gurgling sound from the area near or behind the air filter (my friend thinks it sounds like a snoring noise). I bought it used (2600 miles on it) from a Harley dealership, and the warranty ended just a few days ago, it just started to make the noise today (just my luck-lol). Anyway the battery died for some odd reason (I just rode it 3 days ago and it was fine) and I got it charged over night and put it back in today. After reinstalling the battery and after I drove it around the block and came home it when I noticed it. I turned the key on then off again and it stopped, I think, then when back out later and it was doing it again. Its not the noises it makes when it is cooling down (I know it does that) it’s a different noise. Anyway if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. I don’t want to just take it in without any idea of what it might be, that way I can say what I think it might be and I know they charge a lot per hour at the dealerships. Anyway thanks for any help and/or ideas you can give.

Oh no its not the fuel pump priming. I know what that sound is. This is after I shut it off. I can walk away and it will be still doing it even an hour later. My warranty expired, I dont have it anymore. So thats not an option. Like I said the sound seems like it is coming from or behind the oval air filter thing...Thanks for anymore sugestions. I just went and looked the fuses and stuff look clean. The battery dieing wouldnt cause anything to mess up would it?

The occurrence of the battery dying at the same time you hear gurgling / snoring may be too much for a coincidence.

Check the battery itself to see if it’s the source of the sound. I wonder if the voltage regulator is overcharging the battery and you are hearing the acid bubble/boil. This could have killed your last battery.

The occurrence of the battery dying at the same time you hear gurgling / snoring may be too much for a coincidence.

Check the battery itself to see if it’s the source of the sound. I wonder if the voltage regulator is overcharging the battery and you are hearing the acid bubble/boil. This could have killed your last battery.

I foujd out what it is.. I took it in to my Local Harley dealership today. Arrowhead Harley. Anyway the guy said he thinks its (I forgot the name if it) a little motor by the air vent that keeps reseting itself over and over. He (the main tech guy) said its nothing to worry about and that it would be fine. Then I was like well it never made that noise before and he tried to tell me as you own the bike that it way always start to make new noises. And that, that probally did not cause my battery to die. But i said to him that, that does not make since because anything that keeps reseting itself should not be doing that. And that it does it for hours so that the electricity from that would waste some of the battery power.. I mean i dont know anything about motorcycles (yet anyway) but that doesnt make sence to me what he said. Its not like it just does it once and then stops .. Anyway I found out that they told me wrong about when the warrently ends and it does not end till the 25th of this month so I told them to keep it there and I wanted them to look at it better, because my warrenty was running out and I need it fixed before it runs out. Plus I thought it would be a good way to get some documentation on the problem before the warrenty runs out because its is a propblem that is happening before the warrenty expires. Anyway let me know what you all think about this and if you have any suggestions on what to say to the dealerships so I get somethng done about this. Thanks Vinny Oh yea if you also know what the part is that I am talking about. That would be great to find out the name of it too....

Okay i just called to check what it was called again and its the "Idle air control". I keeps reseting its self over and over....

Last edited:
July 26, 2007 - 2007 XL Models with Discharged Batteries or Very Low Voltage 2007 XL Models with Discharged Batteries or Very Low Voltage

Harley-Davidson has found some ’07 Sportsters where the batteries are going dead after a night of sitting. The root cause is water intrusion. Water can run down the harness, funnel into the fuse block area, and then bridge the system relay contacts. The system relay has constant power available on the 30 terminal.
When the system relay is activated, power goes to the ECM, and then the ECM sends power out to the IAC. The IAC will then run until the battery is fully discharged.
To prevent this issue, Electrical Contact Lubricant (p/n 99861-02) can be placed on the terminals and base of the system relay, and the receptacles at the fuse block. This will create a water barrier once the relay is installed into the fuse
block.
Motorcycles exhibiting this condition could also have corrosion present, and if necessary, should have the relay terminals and receptacles cleaned with a wire brush or replaced.

Hope this helps...:D

July 26, 2007 - 2007 XL Models with Discharged Batteries or Very Low Voltage 2007 XL Models with Discharged Batteries or Very Low Voltage

Harley-Davidson has found some ’07 Sportsters where the batteries are going dead after a night of sitting. The root cause is water intrusion. Water can run down the harness, funnel into the fuse block area, and then bridge the system relay contacts. The system relay has constant power available on the 30 terminal.
When the system relay is activated, power goes to the ECM, and then the ECM sends power out to the IAC. The IAC will then run until the battery is fully discharged.
To prevent this issue, Electrical Contact Lubricant (p/n 99861-02) can be placed on the terminals and base of the system relay, and the receptacles at the fuse block. This will create a water barrier once the relay is installed into the fuse
block.
Motorcycles exhibiting this condition could also have corrosion present, and if necessary, should have the relay terminals and receptacles cleaned with a wire brush or replaced.

Hope this helps...:D

Ya thanks. I will send this to my service dept.... They still have my bike.

Back