free website stats program XL1200L Seat Height... What gives??? | Harley Davidson Forums

XL1200L Seat Height... What gives???

Krazilee

I'm trying to decide which Sporty to get as my first. I have short legs (28" inseam) so I'm leaning toward the 883L only because of the 26.3" unladened seat height.

I prefer a 1200 but the Nightster styling is not me and the 1200L and 1200C have the exact same 28" unladen seat height (just a bit too high for me as I want my heels to touch the ground when I straddle the bike).

I don't understand why they call it "Low" when it's no lower than the Custom.

Please enlighten me.

I'm 5'2, and touch the ground with my riding boots on, i have the 1200L, the low is not has top heavy as the custom.

Hobbit... I've read some discussions in which 1200 conversions were mentioned, but I figured that it would open a can of worms if not done right. The increase in power/torque would stress the lighter 883 components, true?
A 1200L with a lowering kit (front & rear) sounds less expensive and doesn't mess with the motor.

But since we're on the subject, what exactly is involved in a 1200 conversion and how reliable are they?

I'm 5' tall and ride an 883L .At a stop both my feet are flat on the road and that is very important to me.I have not ridden a 1200,so I can only speak from my own(limited )experience,but I have no trouble keeping up with the"big boys" power-wise. When I first started riding it ,I was put off by how top heavy it is, but after a year and 1500 miles, I think I've gotten used to it and seem to be okey with it. NOW, I'm ready to start customizing it!

I appreciate all the feedback.

Hearing from 883L and 1200L owners is very helpful.

I'm confident that I'll have no issues with the 883L. Although the dealer didn't have one that I could try, the seat height is actually a bit lower than my current learners 250. I'm able to have both feet flat on the ground still have my knees slightly bent. MRS2COOL proves that fact.

HDGAL, I must have shorter legs than you because when I sat on a 1200L at the dealer, both my heels were off the floor. Granted I was wearing sneakers. Maybe the seat was wider then normal. I should try it again with my riding boots on.

Hobbit, again you've provided much insight to the 1200 conversion. That certainly is a viable option. I can start out with the 883L. Don't need any extra power as I gain more seat time on a larger bike. When I'm ready, I'll install the 1200 conversion. It'll be the same familiar bike, more power and still be low...! Best of both worlds!

Oh Oh... am I becoming an HD addict even before I own one...??? :bigsmiley30:

Thanks again everyone!

Back