free website stats program Wrecked my Road King - Questions | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Wrecked my Road King - Questions

Had a similar event, when my rear tire hit one of those road tar snakes on a hot day. I got control back right away, or I would have also crossed the road. I should have seen the hazard, but was caught up in the moment of a great ride taking the sweeping turns up in the Sierra Nevada mountains last summer. Got to remember "Surface Appraisal".

This is just something I do if a sharp curve takes me by surprise. I close the throttle and shift my weight off center to the inside of the curve, similar to what the motorcycle racers do. In that way the bike doesn't have to be leaned over so far. Of course, if there are leaves, loose dirt, gravel, etc., no matter what you do would still result in a slide-out. That's another reason why I avoid riding at night on a strange road. You don't know what's out there to catch you by surprise. If your bike starts going down, be sure to raise your leg on the side that the bike is falling to so you don't crush your leg. I once I hit a deer in the darkness while driving my pickup truck. I sure wouldn't want to hit a deer at night with my Harley! I wonder if those "deer whistles" actually work? I had two of those on the pickup truck.

Road Gators! Hate em'! Last year I was creaping up on a semi to get ready for a pass and it blocked my view of the big nasty full sized truck cap in the road. Right over the top of it. Was fine, but all I could picture was that thing getting tangled up in my swingarm. I hang back now and pull out about 4 seconds behind the truck to do my passing.

Snakes, Gators, Bugs and Slick lines...........there's a whole buncha' things that'll get ya. Other caged drivers who are oblivious to everything. Sometimes even ourselves, rideing too fast or above our abilities.
With the power and torque of todays bike all it takes is a wet crosswalk line and a little extra quick twist on the throttle to iniate a loose rear wheel condition and whoopee yer outa control.
Here's one of my pet peves.....allowing a car to follow to closely. when those guys wanna ride ya........get away from them the best way you can or pull off and let em go. I seen a guy get dusted on a 2 lane Hwy one morning. The car in back of him was right on his tail, another car pulled out to pass the one that was on his tail, they didn't see the bike in front of the car, oncomming traffic force the passing car to pull in on the motorcycle and pushed the bike off the road at 70+.........Snakes, Gators, Bugs, Slicks and Cages........

This is just something I do if a sharp curve takes me by surprise. I close the throttle and shift my weight off center to the inside of the curve, similar to what the motorcycle racers do. In that way the bike doesn't have to be leaned over so far. Of course, if there are leaves, loose dirt, gravel, etc., no matter what you do would still result in a slide-out. That's another reason why I avoid riding at night on a strange road. You don't know what's out there to catch you by surprise. If your bike starts going down, be sure to raise your leg on the side that the bike is falling to so you don't crush your leg. I once I hit a deer in the darkness while driving my pickup truck. I sure wouldn't want to hit a deer at night with my Harley! I wonder if those "deer whistles" actually work? I had two of those on the pickup truck.

NO they don't and hitting a deer on your HD is not cool, been there, done that!

Back