free website stats program Wrapping pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

Wrapping pipes

TheJudge

Other than looks, is there a reason to wrap the exhaust ?
WAP.gif

Other than looks, is there a reason to wrap the exhaust ?
WAP.gif

It's basically for thermal efficiency when racing. It keeps the flow up by keeping the heat in but when used on the street it promotes metal fatigue and separation of the metal itself in layers.

There was a thread here a year or two back that showed pipes that had been wrapped. After a year the pipes had rusted out and broken apart. Seems that wrapping caused moisture to be trapped between the wrap and the pipes.

It's supposed to be for the heat but some do it for the looks also, my wife wrapped her exhaust on her 1200 custom she did it for the heat but she had to have pink wrap. And I hear it will deteriorate the metal pipes over time.

There was a thread here a year or two back that showed pipes that had been wrapped. After a year the pipes had rusted out and broken apart. Seems that wrapping caused moisture to be trapped between the wrap and the pipes.

So do you think those aftermarket pipes that come wrapped would do the same I was considering them since they look so pretty.....

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

It's basically for thermal efficiency when racing. It keeps the flow up by keeping the heat in but when used on the street it promotes metal fatigue and separation of the metal itself in layers.

So do you think those aftermarket pipes that come wrapped would do the same I was considering them since they look so pretty.....

jgostained, Glider's post addresses this facet even without the moisture factor that Don added. I surmise the moisture gets trapped in and under the tape from rain. There are a bunch of guys that wrap their pipes on HDForums. If you are considering doing this and have concerns, I would post a new thread on there (Harley Davidson Motorcycle Reviews, Performance, Repair, Parts - HDForums.com) called 'Pipe Wrapping effects' and just ask what symptons those guys have had over time. Read the replys with subjectivety, some may be biased.

I never have understood why some think this looks good, but then I'm just an old man that lived in another time window. I'll take a set of chrome or blacked out heat shields anyday over the hockey handle look.

Personally, I think it looks hideous. Factually, if the process provided any real performance incentive then bike companies would be doing R/D on the bikes they sell as extreme sport bikes. I did not know about the rust thing.

In reality, I think the real reason is the old adage, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday." People want to look cool, and if an engine looks like a killer, ergo, the guy who owns it must be a real biker.

Personally, I think it looks hideous. Factually, if the process provided any real performance incentive then bike companies would be doing R/D on the bikes they sell as extreme sport bikes. I did not know about the rust thing.

I agree with you there. In reality it's not only the trapped moisture that is the problem but the heat that is generated by the pipe that can't be released.

Great for the drags as it keeps the thermal efficiency up for better performance but on the street, it will prove to be a costly experience when the metal in the pipes flake apart causing replacement of the pipes.

In reality, I think the real reason is the old adage, "Race on Sunday, sell on Monday." People want to look cool, and if an engine looks like a killer, ergo, the guy who owns it must be a real biker.
Isn't it strange what some will do just to look like a "real biker"? :D

Back