free website stats program wrapping HD pipes | Harley Davidson Forums

wrapping HD pipes

Bedrock

Are wrapping pipes on an HD bad for the pipes? I've read a bunch of other random google posts where most say that they're bad for the pipes & will rust them out from the inside w/in 2 years, but a minority say the pipes will be fine if wrapped tightly (& coated), and a slight few saying this is more of an issue w/ metric bikes but none i could find specifically addressing HD's.

Wrapping exhaust pipes is in the drag racing world the thing to do, the heat contained helps with exhaust scavenging, it is more a cosmetic thing IMO on modern day street bikes JMO

No expert on the subject here. I have read more cons than pros on wrapping them. I understand that ceramic coating will help with scavenging if that is what you are after, expensive!

A friend and I wrapped the pipes on his 2008 Night Train. What a pain in the butt. He bought a kit that supplied the wrapping, zip ties, and paint. First of all if your going to paint them, make sure you have a HOT day or a big oven. Second it takes two people to do a good job. Third take your time. Last my hands hurt for a couple of days after. Gloves, good luck with that. He said, it brought down the heat to his leg a little, which is one reason he did it. The other reason was for looks, it's kinda cool looking on his all black bike. He has had to touch up the paint a few time, as it burns off. It has only been a year so not sure about the condtion of his pipes.

Back