free website stats program Would you trade? | Harley Davidson Forums

Would you trade?

redbeards1200r

That is the question. Now just looking for some advice on what to do.

Would you trade an 06 sporty for a 91 Electa Glide Police Special?
I am the one with the XL1200 12k miles, had it since it was new. I found a guy that wants a smaller bike. His FLHTP had 60k.

An I crazy to trade for a bike that old?

You forgot to mention the cash part. You certainly can't be talking even trade bike for bike.

welcome to the forum.. lots of deals out there right now, i would keep looking or b happy with my sporty depends on what you are looking for in a bike (do some touring or just around town)

NADA says your bikes average retail is $5,915, While the 91 E Glide low miles in Very Good condition is $5825, Good is $2700 and Fair is $1050. I would first have the bike safety checked and have the seller show all maint. records. Than you can make your mind up if you want a 20 year old bike.

That is the question. Now just looking for some advice on what to do.

Would you trade an 06 sporty for a 91 Electa Glide Police Special?
I am the one with the XL1200 12k miles, had it since it was new. I found a guy that wants a smaller bike. His FLHTP had 60k.

An I crazy to trade for a bike that old?

I would do it, but I do my own work. An EVO with 60K miles I would be checking for:

• Leaking base gaskets
  • Condition of tranny
  • General leaking gaskets, seals, orings on engine
  • Condition of Inner Primary (hairline cracks?)
  • Brakes
  • Front end feel
  • Burning oil (smoke)?
If all those things check out, I would still be planning for a top end job in the not too distant future.

So it just depends on what you want the bike for. To me, there is no comparison between a Sporty and a big bike. Sporty is a good platform for chopping and building something. Big bikes like the RKs and EGs are for going somewhere.

Up to you.

TQ

The important question is what are you expecting out of the Electra Glide. If you are thinking big touring, see threads #4 and #6. If you are mechanically able then you should not have to much problems keeping on top of a old bike and performing the repairs TQ recommends. But the decision should be made from the point of view of expectations....:)

How much cash would it take to get that E Glide? I would keep the Sportster IMO it is not A great Deal for that old of a bike

Thanks everybody.

I spoke to the guy on the phone and he claims to be the second owner and he thinks it's worth $8000. A little high if you ask me, or just a proud owner.

I am a do it myself kinda guy, and have a mechanical background even though I drive a truck for a living. The owner seems to be an older guy and is wanting to get a smaller/lighter bike. He is a painter and said he striped it down 5 yrs ago and did a complete repaint and claims it is mechanically sound.

It is about 55 miles away, so I'm planning on a road trip tomorrow to go see it in person. I will check the jugs, look for oil seepage and cracks. Other than smooth up/down shifting, what else should I look for in regards to the tranny?

I bought my sporty just to get back into riding again and ride back and forth to work. Now I would like to do some 2up riding. Nothing cross country, just a 200 mile weekend every now and then along with the work commute.

Back