free website stats program Would a K&N filter require a rejetting of the carbs? | Harley Davidson Forums

Would a K&N filter require a rejetting of the carbs?

GimmeFuel

I've got a 2004 Fat Boy and am considering installing a K&N air filter. Would doing that require rejetting the carbs?

Also, what do you folks think of Uni air filters?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 2004 Fat Boy and am considering installing a K&N air filter. Would doing that require rejetting the carbs?

Also, what do you folks think of Uni air filters?

There are many variations of K&N filters. Some are direct replacement, and although better flowing, not considered "performance", so no rejetting should be required. Performance K&N filters usually require some modification to the air box, or have a different backing plate altogether. They DO require rejetting. I used a Uni foam over wire element in my Sportster for quite a while, it seemed to do the job.

As Breeze said if just doing the filter you will be fine, K N in all my bikes always:s

I would have to agree with fin_676. K&N may advertise that their filters are direct replacements, but in the same breath they will also tell you that their filters increase the airflow about 10-30%. You can install it, and you will most likely notice that about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle you will start to choke the carb, and the bike will die... Too much air, which would require you to rejet. If not ...then you lucked out and are good to go....

Discalimer::)This is just my humble opnion and it is only based on my personal and limited experience.
my name is Honest abe and I approved this message:p

Back