free website stats program worn pads | Harley Davidson Forums

worn pads

dgray65

I recently replaced the rear pads on my 01 road king classic and they were worn to the metal on the front of the pad but had 1/8 inch left in the rear . The next day we had a braking problem where I had no brakes for a second then they locked up and caused an accident. Is there a common problem with the rear calipers on these. Any help with this please ! thanks everyone.

Not a common problem at all. It may have been in the assembly of the new pads and something was hung up until you used the brakes and it released.

Thanks !! I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what to look for when i disassemble the rear to make sur it does not happen again and for peace of mind.

Thanks !! I was hoping someone could enlighten me as to what to look for when i disassemble the rear to make sur it does not happen again and for peace of mind.

Make sure when you remove the old pads, to clean the exposed pistons of all the debris. In the attached link Glider uses an ol' shoe string & BrakeKleen (over rags to protect runoff into storm drains)...but read the text all the way through, your bike will thank you and possibly end further "drama" with changing out your pads. :s

Brake Caliper Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

PS dont't forget to use your HD Service Manual regarding lubing of the pins and lightly sanding both the pads & rotors to a satin "random" swirl finish, again cleaning w/ BrakeKleen to ensure the new pads "bed-in" properly in about 100 miles using firm, but smooth braking.":)

Last edited:
I recently replaced the rear pads on my 01 road king classic and they were worn to the metal on the front of the pad but had 1/8 inch left in the rear . The next day we had a braking problem where I had no brakes for a second then they locked up and caused an accident. Is there a common problem with the rear calipers on these. Any help with this please ! thanks everyone.

Very sorry to read about your problem, and I hope everyone is OK.

But this is a very important message to all readers that work on their own or someone elses brakes. After reassembling the brake system and mounting on the bike, it is important to bleed the brakes carefully to make sure all air is purged from the hydraulic system. Then once done, it is VERY important to pump up the brakes hard and try to move the bike with the brakes applied front brakes then rear brakes. DO NOT start the bike and ride it UNTIL you are sure that the brakes are working.

TQ

If you go to the Lyndall Brakes site,you'll find a most excellent article on how and why to service your callipers complete.It's a great read and is perfect for pros and dummies:NOT that i'm alluding to any of you being dummies.:D

Back