free website stats program World's Longest 10K Service! | Harley Davidson Forums

World's Longest 10K Service!

Dr. Dolittle

Experienced Member
Contributor
Retired Moderators
Well, I started on my 10K service back in early September with a change of all the fluids. Mid September I knocked out most everything else except the brakes. I was going to drop my bike off at my indy mechanic while the wife and I spent late September/early October at Hilton Head and have him do the brake pads and brake bleeding. When he said he didn't have the room for me to leave the bike that long, I made up my mind to try and tackle the brakes myself.

Today, 2 months later, I replaced all the brake pads and bled both the front and rear brake systems, thus officially completing my 10K service!

My main reason for posting this is that I know a lot of folks just lurk here or are members but don't think they could ever do any maintenance on their bikes. WRONG! I've been known to totally botch a simple picture hanging in the house so I'm not what you'd call very mechanically adept.

In just about 2 years I've gone from "maybe I'll try an oil change" to "screw it, I'm doing my 10K service all by myself." I was initially terrified to remove my outer fairing but now I've had it off a half dozen times. I was totally psyched out about the brake job but even though it took me the better part of the day, i did it all by myself and it went off without a hitch.

Folks - YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Get yourself a service manual, read over the Self Help section of this forum, ask lots of questions, and then pour yourself a big cup of coffee, head out to the garage, and really take your time getting to know your bike and how it's put together.

Went for a short ride this evening to gradually break in the new pads and I don't think I've ever had such a gratifying feeling riding this bike since I got it 2 years ago.

OK, I'll stop rambling now.

Richard, you really should consider doing some routine maintenance yourself, just to get your hands a bit oily...but in the process you will really feel the gratifying experience that Dr.D can only write about for us to see. Do simple things first, and if the brakes thing bothers you, by all means leave that for the dealer or indy. You will certainly surprise yourself and get to be "ONE" with your ride. And that extra money will go a bit for that prize pair of shoes CAT wants so dearly or that bit of *BLING* that she saw would be a fitting "testimonial" for doing a good job...:s eh...who is that looking over your shoulder now? :small3d036:

I think your Cathy is happy you are willing to spend the extra money to see to it that the bike is safe enough for you and her to ride on, I assume she rides with you. Always do what you do best and leave the rest to the experts.

No worries Richard, do what you feel COMFORTABLE with, as that is the bottom line. If it means spending a bit and supporting your local HD dealer or Indy, I am really good with that. :D

Just me coming from automotive repair minor and electronics engineering major going up through the ranks, it is hard for me to put a wrench or meter probe down, so don't pay me no mind. The key here is enjoy that which we hold dear...family, friends and that piece of rolling stock in the garage...:s

Congratulations Dr. D - Job Well Done!! :cheers

I totally understand your pride. I frequently get comments on my bike. First I get to brag that she is a 1989 model, but I usually follow that up with 'but the motor is only X # of weeks old - I just rebuilt it....myself' :yahoo

And there is NO WAY I could have completed the project without the timely help of the gracious people here!!! :bigsmiley12:

CatWoman :rider and Loving it!!

10000 miles on your brake pads?And time to replace?

Are you the last of the late brakers?

Shouldn't they last a bit longer?

If I can do it, you can do it! First time owner owner myself and started doing my own maintenance @ 10,000mi. Bought a J&S jack stand, Craftsman 131 peice socket set, star wrench set, oil strap wrench and all the service manuals. Nothing like doing it yourself. I've already paid off my tools from the servicing I've completed already. Due to my ABS system I can't bleed the brakes myself. Brake pads and new tires was very simple (even though I had an indy mount the tires themselves).

Doc......I'd congratulate you but you have gotten me in BIG trouble!!

Cathy was reading over my shoulder as she often does, (she loves Glider's posts....and his voice...I have to keep my eye on that girl where he's concerned), and she read YOUR post.

Now she thinks maybe I can get all the parts I'm having installed on my bike and do it MYSELF and save all the install costs!!

Sorry Richard - and hello Cathy! Let me add to my post and ease your situation. What I did was routine service, otherwise known as preventive maintenance. I did not have to FIX anything. That would cause me to seriously consider my abilities and probably result in a call to a dealer or my indy. Also, I know a lot of what you're having done is electrical stuff and lights. Electrical mods still freak me out and I don't hesitate to let the experts take care of things in that area. There, did that help?

10000 miles on your brake pads?And time to replace?

Are you the last of the late brakers?

Shouldn't they last a bit longer?

I couldn't get a good read on the condition of the pads when I inspected them so I had already bought a complete new set. Once I got the old ones off and cleaned up, there did appear to be a good portion of life remaining on them but I went ahead and put the new ones on - peace of mind for a couple years!

If I can do it, you can do it! First time owner owner myself and started doing my own maintenance @ 10,000mi. Bought a J&S jack stand, Craftsman 131 peice socket set, star wrench set, oil strap wrench and all the service manuals. Nothing like doing it yourself. I've already paid off my tools from the servicing I've completed already. Due to my ABS system I can't bleed the brakes myself. Brake pads and new tires was very simple (even though I had an indy mount the tires themselves).

Tires/wheels are another area that scares me, in addition to the electrics i mentioned to Richard. I haven't had either wheel off by myself yet. Maybe someday when I'm totally bored and the weather is terrible I'll go out and do it just for fun!

Richard, your Dad was a very wise man. You're doing him proud by living your life in accordance with his wonderful advice.

I have a similar philosophy as you when it comes to things around the house. I have very good intentions when I begin to troubleshoot or fix something but it almost always ends up with a much larger repair bill when they have to fix my screw ups before they even address the original problem! Just ask my wife about the washing machine fiasco a couple years ago! I've slowly learned to honestly assess the situation and immediately call for help if I see a disaster lurking in my future.

We all want to see pictures of your bike when it's "finished." By the way, where are you finding room to put the portable generator that'll run all those lights?

Tires/wheels are another area that scares me, in addition to the electrics i mentioned to Richard. I haven't had either wheel off by myself yet. Maybe someday when I'm totally bored and the weather is terrible I'll go out and do it just for fun!

Congrats on completing your 10K. I felt the same way about wheels and tires until I had a problem with the chrome coming off the rear sprocket. Had to pull the rear wheel to get the sprocket out for a full inspection and 'show & tell' at the dealers. Turned out to be very easy to do, just keep the spacers in order so you know how to reassemble it. :newsmile040:

Back