free website stats program Won't idle | Harley Davidson Forums

Won't idle

Maestro

Have 03 Fat boy 88B motor,won't idle,only runs with the enricher pulled out to near maxim,have cracks and pops also,drained tank and put fresh gas...?

Is this a new issue? Have you changed/replaced anything lately? Will the motor run once off idle?

New issue,had old fuel in tank,drained put good fuel,had pipes off,carb front off .cleaned jets,found some cellulose from fuel,cleaned same,will only run with enricher pulled halfway out,

Sounds like bike was sitting for a while. Symptom is it's getting too much air. Could be air leak at the manifold/heads. Check the petcock vac. line to carb for leaks. Removing and giving the carb. a thorough clean will probably help.

Agree with Breeze. Check for vacuum leaks but I am betting there is still some crap in the carb; probably in the needle jet. I would pull the carb again and physically clean all the jet bores. Sometimes blowing jets out with compressed air doesn't get everything out when a bike has been sitting for a while. Have another go at cleaning the carb jets and passages.;)

If it will only run with enricher out or part out then you are adding fuel using the enricher
so not enough fuel for the amount of air
so could be not enough fuel or too much air
not enough fuel will be a problem with the carb (blocked jet low float bowl level is where to start)
Too much air is caused by an intake leak between the carb and the cylinders allowing the mixture to be weakened after it has left the carb
Keihin carbs do not work here from october to april as there is too much moisture in the air here and the moisture freezes in the carb and blocks the slow jet if humidity is above 80% and temperature is below 14*c carb icing is possible just another consideration

Brian

I would agree with all that has been said. Take the carb off and apart for cleaning, remove the jets etc. and clean really well. Also check for intakes leaks.
tourbox

In my previous, I referred specifically to the needle jet but to be clear, I meant the needle jet holder. I recently had a buddy that has an '02 FLHT with a similar problem. The bike had been sitting for weeks without running and would not idle with enrichener closed but open the motor would rev but with lots of missing and popping; lacking fuel. The owner had drained the tank and replaced with fresh fuel but no love. I pulled the carb and found the needle jet holder had a bit of crap lodged in the center that would not come out with air pressure. Had to push it out with a piece of wire; still don't know what it was or where it came from. It was so small, we couldn't find it but I knew it was out because I could see through the jet holder where I couldn't before the wire.o_O

Not saying this is the OPs problem but worth checking as part of the cure.;)

Back