free website stats program wobble @45-50 mph | Harley Davidson Forums

wobble @45-50 mph

lowrider13

I have been getting a wobble at 45-50 mph. Up to that and after there is none. I do need new tires and I have spoke wheels, but why would it only do it at those speeds? Any suggestions?

A bike tire is no different then a car tire in the sense that when they go out of balance this can only be felt at certain speeds.BEWARE,this is only my own uneducated opinion:D

Is the wobble when you are decelerating or is it there when going steady speed.

Wobble when decelerating is typicaly steering head bolt needs adjustment.

Yea when I am going at those speeds and I let go of the bars it shakes pretty good. But at anything but 40 to 50 it is ok. Pressure is good, but like I said I need new tires, I could get another 500 or so miles out of these thou.

oh, I had me a wobble on a metric years ago, real shaker too.
made my bike feel like a Harley ha ha ha ha

if its not tires or spokes, there are bearings inside the steering head, up
at the neck of the frame.

Tire pressure, tire balance and tire wear are the most common in my experience. You have already said the tires are bad. Check you air pressure first if you already have not did that. As far as a certain speed, that is not uncommon. If a tire is out of balance from wear or other reasons, at certain speeds it becomes the optimum situation and becomes worse at that speed. Chances are you need to replace your tires as they are talking to you. Ride safe brother.

Worst offender is worn front tire...when smooth there is less side by side friction losses so more transfer up the line, especially if nothing there to suppress it like steerer bearing preload (check fork fall-away), or rider hand grip with arm and shoulders absorbing the final bits.

On my metric sportbike where there is very little "frictional losses" and more weight over the front wheel the problem is exacerbated. Get that tire changed and properly balanced and you will be surprised.

I am getting both tires changed on the 15th. I am going on a long ride the 17th so I want to be safe. I check the psi often it is good.I think I must of lost a wt. on the front. I will keep you informed on the outcome.

wobble gone, must of been the front tire. Everything is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back