free website stats program Wix filter for twin cam used in an evo ??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wix filter for twin cam used in an evo ???

Pancho

Wix filter #51438 is for twin cams (1999+) and has a 24 micron element.

Wix filter #51215 is for evos and has a 21 micron element.

Other that this micron thing, the filters are identical.

Is this difference significant. or can I use the twin cam filter in my 1992 FXLR (evo low rider) ?

Filter micron is critical depending on the year and model of bike. Choosing a filter that requires with a lower micron may actually damage you bike. The same is true for a bike requiring a higher micron filter.
Stick with the HD filters that is designed for your year and model.

Wix filter #51438 is for twin cams (1999+) and has a 24 micron element.

Wix filter #51215 is for evos and has a 21 micron element.

Other that this micron thing, the filters are identical.

Is this difference significant. or can I use the twin cam filter in my 1992 FXLR (evo low rider) ?
IMO would not use either of these. I believe the HD for the twin cam are now at 5 micron. Not sure about one for your bike, but I would not use other than HD. JMO.:)

Evo's run a 30 micron and the TC use a 5 micron filter.

Save $$ now or pay later but I would use the HD filter myself. It was specked for the engine, not labeled as "you can try this one"

My question is who makes Harley Oil Filters? I'm pretty sure they don't make them; they source out from a Filter Manufacturer,have them stamp it with the Harley name & logo, then sell it as a Harley part. I've been in the Auto Parts & Supply business for over 30 years & normally the Car Or Whatever
Manufacturer will source out the least expensive part that will meet their minimum requirements to hold the price down. Filter ratings can be easily accessed to compare Micron Ratings, check for Bypass Valves or not, etc. on the WEB. You'd be surprised how some VERY WELL KNOWN brands stack up.
I'm just not sold on sticking with a Harley Filter. I've sold Wix a long time & am very confident in them (of course it doesn't hurt to know the factory rep
in case of questions or concerns...& NO, this is not an advertisement for Wix).
Glider, I have the utmost respect for your advise & have used it several times.
This is just my personal feeling on this subject.

Not a problem, I believe Champion makes the HD filters and even if they were double the other brands in price, i would still use the HD filter. I'm not a gambler.

Back