free website stats program Wiring compact air horn to '99 Road King Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

Wiring compact air horn to '99 Road King Classic

maleko89

Hi, first post! A friend is going to stop by tomorrow and wants me to install this thing. I'm going to use a 20 amp automotive relay. I don't have a wiring diagram so wanted to ask how the horn/horn switch are wired. Is the horn always hot and the button completes the circuit or is it the other way round?

Thanks!

Mark

The button operates the control circuit(relay) and the relay operates the horn. Of course this should be on a keyed circuit too so it is off when the ignition is off.

Thanks for the quick reply! Does the bike already have a relay operating the horn? Or, did you just mention relay for my sake?

So, how does this sound?

Unplug powered wire from horn and move to 85 pin of relay. Unhook ground wire from horn and attach to 86 pin of relay. Run new 14 gauge wire from positive battery terminal to 30 pin of relay. Run new 14 gauge wire from 87 pin of relay to positive air horn terminal. Run new 14 guage wire from negative air horn terminal to frame ground.

Thanks again.

Mark

Much easier this way, no relay for the horn on the bike now.

StarterRelay.jpg

That's basically what I'm doing. I won't have to cut or tap any wires in the harness. I just need to get an inline fuse holder. Hopefully the battery is easy to get to.

Back