free website stats program Wire plugs in backbone | Harley Davidson Forums

Wire plugs in backbone

HD4EVER

This has to be the worst idea ever, I have a 03FXDWG & getting to these plugs in the backbone is next to IMPOSIBLE I had an earlyer post on this & after trying to get to these Im ready to go nuts!

This has to be the worst idea ever, I have a 03FXDWG & getting to these plugs in the backbone is next to IMPOSIBLE I had an earlyer post on this & after trying to get to these Im ready to go nuts!

I assume you are talking about pushing the Amps and the harness back up into the frame from below. Yes it is somewhat akin to stuffing a giant octopus into an ice chest.

It helps me to go slow and really look (and feel) for hollow areas to stuff appropriate sections of the harness. You may have to pull it all the ways out and then feel around to see where you want to shove each section.

Or are you pulling something new down the entire backbone, if so excuse me for misunderstanding.

I assume you are talking about pushing the Amps and the harness back up into the frame from below. Yes it is somewhat akin to stuffing a giant octopus into an ice chest.

It helps me to go slow and really look (and feel) for hollow areas to stuff appropriate sections of the harness. You may have to pull it all the ways out and then feel around to see where you want to shove each section.

Or are you pulling something new down the entire backbone, if so excuse me for misunderstanding.

R W B. I think he's talking about the handle bar plugs. Thread from a few days ago is below.

FXDWG wire plugs - Harley Davidson Community

I doing it on an 07 FXD now, and the connectors are the most aggravating part of the job so far... Got the left side out, the right is stuck, I'll back at it again after work tomorrow..

Well the job got easier one I found there a plastic cover on the underside of the down tube right behind the neck...

I doing it on an 07 FXD now, and the connectors are the most aggravating part of the job so far... Got the left side out, the right is stuck, I'll back at it again after work tomorrow..

Well the job got easier one I found there a plastic cover on the underside of the down tube right behind the neck...

I did not see your previous thread but are you saying you got left handlebar wires and AMP connector out of the frame before you realized there was the plastic cover underneath ?

If so, you must have pulled it out the cable hole after removing the rubber grommet ?? That is amazing you found it and pulled it out that way.

You definitely need to be pulling those AMP connnectors out the bottom (after removing the plastic cover) and then only after the AMPs are disconnected should you be pulling the wires out thru the side holes.

I did not see your previous thread but are you saying you got left handlebar wires and AMP connector out of the frame before you realized there was the plastic cover underneath ?

If so, you must have pulled it out the cable hole after removing the rubber grommet ?? That is amazing you found it and pulled it out that way.

You definitely need to be pulling those AMP connnectors out the bottom (after removing the plastic cover) and then only after the AMPs are disconnected should you be pulling the wires out thru the side holes.

The left ones were just inside the grommet, the rights were further back and wouldn't move, but once the cover was off they were right there... The cables will be here today, I should have it finished this weekend....:yahoo

You are right.

Not sure what your intent is, but sometime ago I chose to r&r my handlebars and run the wiring inside them. This entailed having to get to the plug inside the backbone because I don't want to do the cut n solder thing.

Sooo, my bro in law said he would help me. He is a longtime hd tech and used to be service manager at Milwaukee Harley. Now he works in Raleigh at Ray something or other Harley.

There is quite a bit of harness, length wise.

I had the front plastic plug out of the frame. There is a plastic plug in your rear fender, in the front half facing the tire. The harness runs through there and loops just under the front of the fender and the loop is tied into the loop using tie wraps. If you cut those tie wraps, have someone under there helping to push the wire harness up into the backbone through the fender hole while someone is in the front helping pull the harness forward you can gain additional length in the front and get the plugs out where you can then disassemble them. It is a pain, but with 2 people it can be done without damaging the harness or any paint. Slow and easy does it every time.

Back