free website stats program Winterizing Your ride | Harley Davidson Forums

Winterizing Your ride

Chris mc

What do you all do before you store your bike for the winter? Do you actually change the oil, then change it again in the spring? what else? Fuel Stabilizer, etc

A fuel stabilizer for sure, change the oil but no need to change it again before next riding season. If you’re in a cold climate I would fully charge and remove the battery put it someplace warm. Some will remove the plugs and squirt a little oil or fog the cylinders. Not much else you have to do.
Oh yah, give it a kiss and cover her up.

Last edited:
Personally I take mine for a last ride with fuel stabilizer to get it to normal operating temp.
Drain the oil to get any condensation out. New filter ,air the tires up if needed and check everything else as a normal service.
I keep mine in a heated room at my shop, on a battery tender and mostly covered up while leaving the right side of the engine partly open to allow some air movement.
I do push it outside once a month if the ice is melted and start it and after normal warm up time raise the RPM to around 1500 holding for a minute or so.
This works for me, no corrosion at wire connectors do to non use with battery connected.

Plug in the tender,if it's gonna be more than 60 days some stabil.She's in an attached garage.Still gets cold but always warmer from the house.Just follow my usual oil changes.

I change oil and filter, check both master cylinders, clean the K&N air filter if needed. I keep the battery on a Deltran .75ma tender all year long....my original battery lasted 7.5 years. I also fill fuel tank with 93 octane and 8oz of seafoam and put the breathable cover on. Both tires are on soft rubber mats. My garage is heated to 55-60 degrees.

Back