free website stats program Winterizing my bike | Harley Davidson Forums

Winterizing my bike

Does my bike need to be in a heated garage for winter?

• Yes

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am a new Harley owner this year and I have been told 100 different things that I need to do to get my bike ready for winter. I live in Alberta, Canada so our winters are very extreme. I am looking for advice on what needs to be done and what doesnt....eg. is fuel stabilizer necessary, does it need to be in a heated garage and so on. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

I am a new Harley owner this year and I have been told 100 different things that I need to do to get my bike ready for winter. I live in Alberta, Canada so our winters are very extreme. I am looking for advice on what needs to be done and what doesnt....eg. is fuel stabilizer necessary, does it need to be in a heated garage and so on. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Because your winters are so severe, it is pretty much a given to garage or have the dealer store it for you and do the "hibernation" project. You can read about it in the Self Help tips...especially if it is for 3 months or longer:

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/793-winter_storage.html

And then the question comes up what do I do "post-storage"...if you put away the bike with fresh fluids and no IC (Internal Combustion) contaminants and water were not allowed to accumulate...the bike is almost ready to ride with very little prep if the hibernation procedure was done (don't forget to remove the exhaust pipe plugs and other extra "stuff" you used and such)...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/794-returning_your_bike_to_service.html

Lisa

i'm in Alberta as well and have most likely heard and/or read same as you. Owned bike for many years and here is all i do.

1 - get the oil changed just before you store the bike for the winter

2 - fill the tank with fuel

3 - take out the battery

I've never cover the bikes, never drained the carbs, never added stabilizer. bikes are in the garage .. garage is insulated but not heated. i don't start during the winter months and have yet to have any issues. i've put 22,000 + km a year on the ultra and (knock on wood) have had zero issues with the bike.

not saying what i do is right or what you read / hear is wrong .. but my track record is good thus far.

Here is what I do...fill tank with high octane gas. Put sta-bil in. Let run for a few minutes to get the sta-bil in the fuel lines. Hook trickle charger up. Put [sometimes] a few drops of oil on the plugs. Cover with heavy duty bed sheet or bike cover.

Even if you are Welllll, just dont start in the house LOL:p

For a while i kept my bonnie in the front hall had to go through the dining room to get to the kitchen only started it once inside i had been working on it most of the night and got it started about 7am on a sunday morning didnt have any baffles i think i woke the neighbours they still speak to me now on the odd occasion i see them again that was in early 1980

Brian

For a while i kept my bonnie in the front hall had to go through the dining room to get to the kitchen only started it once inside i had been working on it most of the night and got it started about 7am on a sunday morning didnt have any baffles i think i woke the neighbours they still speak to me now on the odd occasion i see them again that was in early 1980

Brian

LOL, I can see you doing that:newsmile100:

It was an army house i was only there for 2 years and i couldnt afford a shed for the bike wife was with my parents at the time or i would have been in real trouble

Brian

Back