free website stats program Winter storage | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter storage

diablo

I live in Montreal Canada and in Feb. the Ultra Classic is in mothballs in the garage. Questions if you had the opportunity would you start the bike every month or let it be.

If I fogged the cylinders before I stored it using marine fogging spray, I would just leave it alone. No point in generating moisture in crankcase oil caused by an incomplete warm up. Others may disagree.

I personally believe that it should be turned over and ran untill it is thoroughly warmed up. I just feel it does no vehicle any good to sit idle for any lenght of time. One time I had a mouse load my air breather with acorns because the car sat too long!:(
Now I should follow my own advice because here we are in February and I have yet to start up my bike!:(

As Richard pointed out above, UNLESS the engine, tranny and primary FLUIDS can be brought up to operating temperature so as to drive off any condensing water that has accumulated in these spaces, DO NOT just start the engine and run it at idle for a few minutes. The consequence to this is that the combustion by-products combine with the water to form acids that will attack the metals.

It takes me almost all the way to work (over 20 miles) in the Winter running a combination of highway and surface streets before my engine oil in the reservoir is approaching 200 degF. That fairly high reservoir temp combined with the very hot returning oil from the engine I hope is enough to drive off any water from the engine. The tranny and primary get good and warm, but I am not worried about combustion by-products in those systems.

TQ

Back