free website stats program Winter Project | Harley Davidson Forums

Winter Project

joel

I have 21,000 + miles on my 20I5 CVO Limted.
So being proactive I'm going to be changing the lifters, they are quite now, no complaints.
Going to install Morel lifters, and inspect the cam bearings.
Is there a bearing install tool that works better than others?

Joel, not trying to get into your business but I would suggest you consider a different lifter. There was a time a few years back when some were going to small block Chevy lifters because they were more cost effective; the fad passed. I don't know why people stopped using them but they did stop. I suspect that they may have been noisy beind designe for auto engines that run on higher oil pressure than Harleys but not sure. I belong to two other very populated HD VTwin forums and the lifter that has been the "go to" lifter for both performance and longevity is the Johnson Hy-Lift sold by Larry's Motorcycle and Machine, AKA, WFO Larry. Larry sells three configurations; the more expensive one has pin oiling which no other lifters, including S&S, offers that feature. Just a suggestion, your ride so you decide.
http://www.larrysmotorcyclemachine.com/lifters.html

I suppose you are referring to the inner cam bearings? There are a variety of R/R tools available and they vary in price. The Heartland tool seems to be quite popular. You can find it on Ebay for about $90; lots of guys using this tool with no issues.

Freeze the bearings over night, liberally apply cam lube to the bearing boss, instaill with letters facing out and be sure bearing is aligned true in the bore. It's a gut punch if the sucker pops and some of those rollers wind up in the crank case.:mad: You are probobably aware, just thought I would make mention.

I have the George's Garage tool, all the specialty tools I have are from George's Garage. However, before I bought the tool I would rent the blind hole puller from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto and use it to pull the bearings and use an old cam to tap the new bearings into the bore but I did break downand buy a tool.

Good luck with the project.;)

Back