free website stats program winter project | Harley Davidson Forums

winter project

67wizard

I have been thinking ( I know it don't happen often) but this winter I thought about getting the heads ported, Compression releases installed and a thinner head gasket installed. Any thoughts? Is it worth the money?

I like everything,but the thinner head gasket. You already have a high compression engine. Thinner head gaskets won't add that much more compression, but may allow a sooner blow out & possible oil leakage. Always buy the best head gaskets you can... not an area to save money on. Just my humble oppinion.

What is your goal? I don't know what you have done to the motor yet, but I think I would start with the air/fuel. Maybe a set of true duals and slip-ons to let the air out, high flow air cleaner to get it in and a Thundermax to mix it all together. If at some point in the future, you have to open the motor up, I would do your engine mods then. Just my two pennies........

Last edited:
2010 Harley-Davidson FLHTCU, K&N airfilter, Reinhart slip ons, Fullsac header, TTS Matser Tune, 103 kit with 255 cams
The above is what I did last year. Just looking for alittle more power for packin double.

I thought about doin something like that and then I remembered that if it ain't broke don't fix it. I tricked up a few metric bikes and then I would have this problem and a new problem would happen and then I finally figured it out. You know what Harley and Honda and Yamaha have a lot more money for R&D then any of the perforance companies. Now I don't mind increasing a little power but not a major job. If I do wear my bike to the point of a rebuild then maybe I will have the heads flowed and ported and I will do the 95" but until then the bike is running just fine.
Ken

Yes age is just a number. I want to do the same to my heads at some point but wouldn't do the thinner head gasket. You don't want the higher compression with the bad gas we already use. Take it from somone who put the thinner head gasket on. On a really hot day fully loaded pulling up a steep hill in Utah she will ping. You have a bit better chance of not having that as HD has anti ping sensors on the newer Fuel Injected bikes but when I pull mine appart again I'm going for the head cleanup, (polishing), Compression releases and the correct head gasket (I will cc it) to get my compression closer to stock. If you want the power, punch her out to a 107" hahahaha. My two cents.

When I say thinner head gasket I think stock is .045 and the thinner is .030.
I am probably wrong but I think thats the way it is. That shouldn't raise the compression all that much. Its just a thought, maybe I should just leave it alone a ride the wheels off her. So far I'm just about to 40K miles on her. Not bad for a 2010. It helps being retired and living in a nice climate also.

Back