free website stats program winter lay up (oil) | Harley Davidson Forums

winter lay up (oil)

bikerod

To those guys who lay up bike over winter, do you change oil when laying up or do you leave current oil in bike until spring then renew or drain oils and leave bike empty until spring. Rod

I leave the oil in it,and after winter start riding again till I hit the 3k mark for an oil change.It sits with a tender on it till I ride again.Usually 2-3 months,unless we get a warm spell during winter,which happens.I parked it with 700 miles since the last change,so i'll go 2300 miles after winter,and dump it.Sometimes I'll put gas treatment in it,if I know I won't touch it for too long.

This has been discussed time and time again. With the oil capabilities today as long as you are following the scheduled maintenance it is really up to you to decide......:s

I leave the oil in it,and after winter start riding again till I hit the 3k mark for an oil change.It sits with a tender on it till I ride again.Usually 2-3 months,unless we get a warm spell during winter,which happens.I parked it with 700 miles since the last change,so i'll go 2300 miles after winter,and dump it.Sometimes I'll put gas treatment in it,if I know I won't touch it for too long.

Same here.

It isn't the oil of today that will save or harm your engine. These are still the same old internal combustion engines that bypass an acidic residue into the oil that can eat away at your crankcase while sitting. I change my oil before I lay it up for the winter to get as many contaminants out as I can.

It isn't the oil of today that will save or harm your engine. These are still the same old internal combustion engines that bypass an acidic residue into the oil that can eat away at your crankcase while sitting. I change my oil before I lay it up for the winter to get as many contaminants out as I can.
Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply. Park my ultra with the old oil in , then change all (3)holes to Amsoil & new K&N oil filter 1st thing in the Spring . Realy would like to know how strong that acid from the engine is - ?? If it was nitric, sulfuric or h.f. acid then i would be worried . I work @ Titanium shop were pickling is done everyday & you have to have strong acids to remove/pickle .001" or more on alot of alloys including 70-80% fe/steel . Stainless & chrome alloys are very hard to pickle any material from at all .

Back