free website stats program Windshields | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshields

I have had these on both my previous Harleys, Sportster XL1200C and VRSCA, but preferred the look of the bikes without the screen. I am fighting the urge not to buy one for the 2010 Street Bob, but do have a big trip in Jul this year. I don't want to pay the £340 (yes not a typo), but have seen screens that mount onto the bars with arms (National Cycle and Memphis Shades) These seem much cheaper. Are they any good?

I have had these on both my previous Harleys, Sportster XL1200C and VRSCA, but preferred the look of the bikes without the screen. I am fighting the urge not to buy one for the 2010 Street Bob, but do have a big trip in Jul this year. I don't want to pay the £340 (yes not a typo), but have seen screens that mount onto the bars with arms (National Cycle and Memphis Shades) These seem much cheaper. Are they any good?

I had a National on my Honda VT1100 for roughly 70k miles. It was OK at the time, most of the driving was commuting. Only complaint was a tendency to crack from the mounting screw holes. I bought a replacement shield at about 50k and it did not crack.

The next bike was a Honda VTX1300 and I went with a Memphis Shades Fats. No real complaints, worked and provide more protection than the National but was also larger. This was on the bike at 27k when totalled and sold.

The Dyna has the HD compact detachable for its 42k miles. IMNSHO, this shield actually provides more protection than either of the others. Difference might be the HD is bike specific while the others were more universal fit. I'm considering going with the HD touring detachable for even more coverage for winter riding and keeping the compact for summer.

Might add that all three bikes and shields were used on cross-country rides from the Phoenix area to Seattle, Denver, and to the Boston area.

Have you ridden a Dyna with a windshield? When my Streetbob was down I rented a Lowrider with a wind shield and I really did not like it JMO

Good point, Jack. Should have added that I like a windshield but many riders do not. He needs to know before proceeding.

The HD detachable screen on my 2009 Fat Bob makes all the difference in the world re: coping with wind, bugs, rocks, and cold. I set it at the highest possible position on the forks. Though I still look over it by a couple inches, it eliminates 90% of all the aforementioned. Obviously, the bike looks cooler without it, and at speeds less than 40 or so, it's fine without it. But at highway speeds, the bike is practically unrideable on any distance over 100 miles.

I have an 02 wideglide and the shield does make for the updraft buffet behind the shield so I use my Jack's Flaps vest to fix that problem. Smooth as glass now, and being a smoker, I ride all the time with a cig hangin out ma mouth with no ash-in-the-face!!!!!

Thanks for all the good information guys. Are the handlebar mounted screens and good or do I have to shell out £350 ($475 USD) for the HD fork mounted screen?

Had occasion to ride about 1 hr & 15min. at 70+ mph on my '06 super glide sans w/shield to make a time commitment. I made it but neck was sore that evening and next day from fighting headwinds. Been usung a w/shield ever since and wouldn't leave home without it. Boy it sure is expensive over there across the pond. You can buy a new Memphis Shades here on ebay for as low as $225. Done it. Never tried the one you mantioned that bolts to the bars. But I can say Memphis Shades makes a quality screen.

Back