free website stats program Windshield for XL1200C | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield for XL1200C

nhk750

Ok, I have looked at all kinds of threads on the subject but cant find what I am looking for.

I am 6'3" and would like to get a windshield for my 2008 XL1200C Sporty.

My friend says to be careful about some windshields that cause buffeting and turbulence. I am used to riding without a windshield and have only had one once long ago in a land long forgotten (but I remember it was nice on the freeway!). I am not looking for a big one and would like to have quick release. I like my sporty looking sporty! I would probably only use it on long rides or freeway riding.

I found this one on the internet and it looks cool. National Cycle Switchblade DeFLector Clear Windshield For 1987 Thru 1994 FXR Models, 1991 Thru 2005 FXD Dyna Glide Models & 1987 Thru 2009 Sportster Models

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks,

Very personal thing fitting a windscreen...I generally like them as a minimum be high enough so when I duck my head a bit into the wind, the airflow is above the brow...but when I sit up, I can easily look over the top by about 3" over the sight horizon, in case I run into a fog bank which can condense quickly and cause a "whiteout". Being as you are 6"3...and knowing that most screen if full size (touring fairing) are made for 5'8" to 6' "standard" sized human, so +2 or +3 height fairing would do. If you choose the smaller windscreens to keep the wind blast off you chest (sport fairing) there are many selections from "deflectors" that quickly attach to tubular handlebars or larger fork mounted ones that clip on to the upper fork stancions...! What works for you is dependant on your riding application and style preference. Best way is to look for rider with bike similar to yours equipped with fairing you like at Harley events and ask the owner about his nits and picks. An alternative is going to HD dealer and see if there is any on display to your liking, happy hunting. I used both methods to find the QR HD Sport 18"H slightly smoked one in P&A catalog for my Sporty...I am 5' 6" and it suits me just fine.

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

Well. after spending countless hours reading on the internet and looking at dealers used bikes and such. I have come to the conclusion that the Quick release compact windshield from Harley Davidson is the right choice for me. I haven't been able to test ride a bike with the windshield yet, but when sitting on some used bikes like mine the windshield measures correctly for me.

Amazon.com has the clear ones (part#58063-04) on sale right now for $275.00, but I am not sure whether to get the clear or tinted version. I am thinking that the tinted version may be a hazard at night or when going from bright light to shaded corners. Does any one have any experience with either of these windscreens? I would appreciate the input. I will probably order one soon.

I am choosing this size of windscreen because I only planning on using it when traveling on long trips and the coverage is good with this style, plus it is a great quick release with no docking hardware left on the bike. Otherwise, the windscreen will never be on my bike and my sporty will be bare like I like it.

i think you would be pretty happy with the one you mention from HD. i have installed a few different styles and those are my fav. if i am thinking of the right ones, four clamps that snap around the forks? if so i really like them, very quick and easy to install and remove, plus like you said when the windshield is off there is no goddy looking docking hardware still on the bike....as for the height, if your not sure go a little taller that you might want, you can always take it to a glass shop and have them cut it down to what ever size you want.

Ya, that is the style I am talking about. I just am not sure if I should go with the tinted or clear?

That is what I was thinking, plus the clear is less visible when you look at the bike from any distance (making it look like I don't have a windscreen).

I ordered one today from Amazon. Couldn't beat the price at $275. I looked all over ebay and there was a few on auction, but they were going for over $150. Why buy a used one in who knows what condition when a new one is only $100 more? So, Should get it in a week or so. Just need it to stop raining so I can ride.
WAP.gif

Well, you bought up some good points, 1) there are good deals all the time if you look, surpisingly enough I got mine here from another member at HDTimeline, so good deals may be found if you are patient , especially now that you know what you want, 2) I have the smoked windscreen (it is very slightly tinted, not nearly as dark as you would think and works fine, even in pitch black evenings), and 3) not a bad way start on winter project, easy to install, and will occupy about 15 minutes of your time...uhhh...NEXT?!!! LOL:D

I have the H-D quick disconnect sheild you are talking about. I'm 6' 1" and the shield is perfect, no buffeting at all! I got the clear, never even considered tinted!

Back