free website stats program Windshield Cracks | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield Cracks

glider.

BOT Machine
There's been questions about a crack starting at one of the holes in the shield material where the bolts pass through on some bikes.

Here's a reply I posted about this problem.

If you want to spend some time on it to stop the crack before it spreads any more, I have had good luck with using a dremel tool in the hole but you must remove it and disassemble it to get at the shield itself. I used a diamond burr tip which is very fine.
The dremel when used in the mounting hole to enlarge it just a tiny bit will actually melt it back together and stop the crack from spreading any further.
The crack is usually caused by the bolt that goes through the hole contacting the shield material where it passes through the brackets.

When replacing a broken shield using the existing hardware, The tape strips come with the new shield replacement when you buy one. Remove the old tape from the hardware and install the new ones after cleaning the hardware well.

A word of caution when you replace the shield, center the bolts in the pre drilled holes or open them up with a dremel tool so the bolt doesn't touch the plastic or it will crack from the bolt hole outwards.

Back