free website stats program Windshield Bag spacer question | Harley Davidson Forums

Windshield Bag spacer question

Johnny K

I just put an HD windshield bag on my limited. The kit came with 3 spacers to put on the three windshield screws between the inner and outer fairing.

First lemme tell you, that was a pain to do without dropping down inside the fairing and having to go looking for it.

Second, I'm not sure why they were there. Before I read the instructions (heck, before I figured out there were instructions), I just loosened the screws and slipped it in behind the windshield and tightened it up. No problem.

Anyhow, here's the question - with the spacers installed, there's a little gap at the top of the fairing on either side of the windshield now. I'm worried about rain getting inside. Anyone dealt with this?

I guess I don't understand the model or part. I just looked at installation instructions for the 2 and 3 pocket fairing pouch's (58928-08/58900-98) and they don't show spacers. The pouch I have on my '07 Electra Glide fits with minimum gaps between windshield and inner fairing.

I have the same three section windshield bag and do not recall spacers when I installed it. I would be worried about open space between the fairing and windshield as well - wouldn't do it in fact.

I don't recall installing any spacers on my /09 Ultra either and my 3 pouch windshield bag installed just fine. If there is a gap, I'd worry too. I can tell you from experience, if you get water in between the two fairing halfs, a lot of very wierd things will start to happen with the bike. As long as everything will go together fine without them, I'd remove those spacers before riding in any wet weather.

Part 58900-11. Instructions aren't up on the HD website, but the spacers are part number 1240003. Basically 3/8 inch or so thick aluminum washers. Looks like they are designed to be just slightly smaller than the three holes in the bottom of the windshield.

I just bought a set of the three pocket fairing pouches from the dealer. They're a different style than the previous pouches. Part # HD-58900-11.
They do indeed come with spacers and new bolts.
It should fit tight. Recheck your allignment and make sure the assembley is up high enough and fully seated. Only the hard plastic mounting tab should be clamped between the inner and outer fairing. I had to play with it a bit to get it just right, but once you get it in the sweet spot all is tight with no gaps. Torque the three screws (20-30 in.#'s) to get a uniform clamping.

Back