free website stats program Wind (Head) Buffeting at speed | Harley Davidson Forums

Wind (Head) Buffeting at speed

Drew

I have an '09 RKC. The windshield seems to be the perfect height for me. I can see over it by a couple inches. But, at speeds above 70mph, I definitely get some head buffeting (I wear a FF helmet). Is this just normal, or if the windshield in fact is NOT the right height, would it likely be too short or too tall? I have read some others have gotten a shorter windshield, and that has helped. I don't want to get a windshield too much taller that would force me to look through it, or have to sit up completely straight to see over it. Any thoughts as to what a solution may be?

thanks, and ride safe
Drew

I have an '09 RK and wear a FF Shoei.

I found the original shield to be too high...right in my line of vision. So, I went 4" shorter. That caused buffeting and really annoying wind noise...almost a throbbing at higher speeds. So, I got a third screen...2" shorter than stock and all is good.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the shield may actually be too short.

My suggestion is to crouch down a bit to see if it helps (i.e., simulate a taller shield) or sit up straighter (to simulate a shorter shield) and see what works for you.

Good luck!

There are 2 ways to eliminate buffeting, use the sheild to keep wind off your chest only and have your head up in the clean air, or a windsheild above your helmet will be buffet free and quite. deflectors on forks do work well also.

1+ for Sharky for 2 to 3" below sight horizon...allows you to sit up slightly if hitting a fog bank and shield goes opaque, but a the same time allows you to sit normal, lean forward or slouch slightly to avoid buffeting. It is a personal preference and I have not yet tried other deflection techniques, but I would believe Big Lew regarding plenty of airflow does come up from the fork area, below the windscreen.

I made some brackets 1" x 1.5" alum. bracket and tilted the windshield a little and made some jackflaps and I stopped the buffeting, but I am sure just tilting the windshield stopped most of it.

Back