free website stats program Will this work?? Anyone have it? | Harley Davidson Forums

Will this work?? Anyone have it?

IMHO, seems like a lot of money to add a gear, even if you're on the highway a bunch. Your bike should be able to go hours on end in fifth gear with no problem. The sixth gear won't get you much better mileage either as those of us with 6 speeds have discovered that under many conditions, you get better mileage in 5th than 6th.

IMHO, seems like a lot of money to add a gear, even if you're on the highway a bunch. Your bike should be able to go hours on end in fifth gear with no problem. The sixth gear won't get you much better mileage either as those of us with 6 speeds have discovered that under many conditions, you get better mileage in 5th than 6th.

I agree Doc,on most of the roads which I ride,I can hardly use 6th gear anyway.Seems I'm always downshifting into 5th.My manual recommends speeds of 65 mph or better for 6th gear.

Are you running an 88 in that bike?
If so that trans is [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]a .86:1 ratio over-drive 6th gear which is a bit steep for an 88. JMHO
[/FONT]

Are you running an 88 in that bike?
If so that trans is [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]a .86:1 ratio over-drive 6th gear which is a bit steep for an 88. JMHO
[/FONT]

I'm going to assume that you mean the Twin Cam 88B engine and if you are, then that would be a yes.

Next I am going to assume that you thought I would know what you meant by 86:1 ratio over-drive 6th gear so just go ahead and point me to the correct Self-Help article and I will be on my way.... :D

I'm going to assume that you mean the Twin Cam 88B engine and if you are, then that would be a yes.

Next I am going to assume that you thought I would know what you meant by 86:1 ratio over-drive 6th gear so just go ahead and point me to the correct Self-Help article and I will be on my way.... :D

Yes TC88 and the B is always a softail. The 86:1 ratio would work well if you had a bigger engine but with the 88 you have it would barely get used unless you were traveling the speed of light before shifting into 6th to make it worthwhile.

Case closed then. Time to start finding something else to spend your money on. Keep stimulating the economy and all that!

Back