free website stats program Will new oil help? | Harley Davidson Forums

Will new oil help?

braddebs

Ok, here's my question, my 96ci seems to rattle louder than a few of my friends motors, one of them said to change to mobil 1 V-twin and it would quiet it down. Could this be true? I've been running syn-3. Just wondering!!!!

Do a little searching on here and you'll find most use a good synthetic like Spectro, Mobil 1, or Amsoil in their motors. I like the first two best.

when i switched from dino20w 50 to mobil 1 20w 50 i could hear alittle more engine noise beleave it or not, now the noise does not sound scary like a ping or a knock just like you can hear all the parts working in the head now lol

As previously stated: Replacing Syn 3 oil with any good "Full Synthetic" is just smart. Mobil 1 V-Twin and Amsol are probably the most used brands. At about $10.00 a quart, they are more expensive than dino based oils. The difference is that a full synthetic such as described above will give your motor added protection when it reaches the critical 300 degree temp range. Air cooled motors have different requirements than their water cooled counterparts and full synthetics such as a 20-50 wt address those requirements. I would not count on it quieting down the normal up and down, around and around noises that are inherant in a reciprocating motor that you are basically sitting on, but it might.

1+ for Retrop and Smitty...if you look at the results of the polls on engine, primary and tranny, there is a big trend in recommended uses of 100% Synthetic and the use of Gear oils specifically for EP 6 speeds, 5 speeds and combined clutch/tranny/chain (Sportster) applications. Enjoy the read using the tabs at the top of the page to search, find the info in the self help or model sections.

Back