free website stats program Wife secured the sledgehammer | Harley Davidson Forums

Wife secured the sledgehammer

F1J1

Sigh.

'07 Sporty 883

It will not run or idle, but it will fire...it just won't stay lit. Code was P0373 - crank position sensor. I replaced it. Now I have a P0374, sensor sync error.
I've used dielectric grease on the connectors. No go. It will not run long enough to throw any other code, save for P0374. I put the original crank position sensor in, and it just throws P0374 and runs poorly. Before I start chasing/tracing wires and buy an electronics manual, is there anything else I can do?

It's still under warranty, but that means I'd have to replace the Vance and Hines short shots with the OEM exhaust before I drag it in to a dealer, right? C'mon, I don't want to have to do that. I'm about ready to go off, hence my wife hiding hammers and mallets....

Fuel pump? Clogged filter?

Glider? Hobbit?

I've had my bike in for warranty work with Vance and Hines pipes on it.....your exhaust won't affect the warranty unless they can prove that the exhaust caused. Saying that it does is just a scare tactic used by dealers.

Hmmmmm Here is an easy fix, works every time with a warrantied vehicle. Go ahead and drain the oil like you were gonna change it. There should be enough oil left in the crank case and filter. Start it up and open the throttle, it doesn't matter if it runs like crap, just run it till the motor seizes. Then put the oil you drained back in. Call the dealer and say your bike won't start. And the most important thing you can do is never mention that you drained the oil. You will get a new motor and Harley will pay for it. You are going to have to put your stock pipes on before you "fix" it. Sometimes you have to be a little sneaky to get what you need. Hey that bike wasn't cheap, and you want it right. Harley wants nothing to do with that bike now that you own it. They are gonna do anything they can to get you to pay for the fix. You paid for the new sensor, right? Keep us posted on how they handle this.....

I don't think you have to change the pipes back to take it in for warranty work.
Klanch now Im sorry dude but that has to be some of the worst advice I have ever heard. What happens when they split the case and see the blueing from heat damage. They are going to know there wasn't enough oil in it. Engine failure due to defective part seldom results in enough heat to discolor the internal engine parts . It will get extremly hot before it gives up the ghost and everything in there will be discolored. Besides the fact that its just plain dishonest. Sorry Bro it's just my opinion.

Hmmmmm Here is an easy fix, works every time with a warrantied vehicle. Go ahead and drain the oil like you were gonna change it. There should be enough oil left in the crank case and filter. Start it up and open the throttle, it doesn't matter if it runs like crap, just run it till the motor seizes. Then put the oil you drained back in. Call the dealer and say your bike won't start. And the most important thing you can do is never mention that you drained the oil. You will get a new motor and Harley will pay for it. You are going to have to put your stock pipes on before you "fix" it. Sometimes you have to be a little sneaky to get what you need. Hey that bike wasn't cheap, and you want it right. Harley wants nothing to do with that bike now that you own it. They are gonna do anything they can to get you to pay for the fix. You paid for the new sensor, right? Keep us posted on how they handle this.....

That's obviously just good humor.
I'm sure no one is stupid enough to...
Never mind.

Don't take above advice.

Tigg, I am glad that you see that is some bad advise. It was supposed to be. It was a joke.

F1J1 DON'T DO WHAT I POSTED ABOVE!!! JUST SOME SARCASM

I sure hope that you guys know I was joking..............Seriously I know that isn't what to do, but sometimes don't you feel like trying to stonewall Harley like they do to us?

Yeah just my sick sense of humor. Please don't drain your oil. Really bad idea. Sometimes I like to be a little sarcastic.

I guess you wanted to hear that HD will say "Yeah man bring it in, in fact we'll give you a loaner bike and here is a gift certificate to Red Lobster for your troubles. We're sorry, in fact go ahead and pick out some chrome on us!" If that happens let me know I will use that dealership no matter how far it is from me.

I guess my point is this: If Harley can find a reason not to fix something, they will. If you have V&H pipes on the bike when it goes in for the sensor work, they are gonna conclude that the pipes caused it. I'm not a very trusting person, especially of large corporations. All they want is your money, and they got it. Think about it they have you by the short & curly's if they say the pipes caused the sensor failure, what can you do take the bike to suzuki?

Don't sweat it Tigg. If he doesn't use Zepka's he should be ok............I guess not all harley dealers are like that....!!!

I knew someone was gonna call me out on that. I gotta learn to stop posting stuff when I'm in a fiesty mood, I sometimes have a tendency to get a little cranky and go off on some stupid tangent, my wife could tell you about some of the off the wall stuff that comes out of my mouth.

Yeah man listen to Hobbit on this one he is the Sporty guru, he never steered me or anybody else wrong, he's a good man and thorough.

Hi F1J1, got you bike fixed? My ´07 883R is not running, code error P0374. I have already replaced the CKP sensor, and got same self diag. I am 2.000 miles from the nearest dealer, so I´m in a real trouble. Any help? A downloadable wiring diagram? Thanks.

Back