free website stats program Wide tire kit on Softail - wheel hub too long? | Harley Davidson Forums

Wide tire kit on Softail - wheel hub too long?

sumu

Hi, putting 240 wide tire kit on 2005 Nigtrain and almost finished. I have problem with rear wheel hub since it is placing rear pulley too far from wheel, and then not matching with front pulley. The distance from belt to wheel/tire is 3/4 inch. Has anyone experience on these kits? In my opinion the belt needs to go really close to the tire.
The supplier claim they have sold same wheels for a long time w/o problems.
Or ... should I change to different rear pulley?
Thanks,
sumu

Being a kit it should be plug & play? With a 240 tire don't you have to shim the primary out a little so the front pully can be moved out, so the belt doesn't rub the tire and lines up with the rear pully? Your supplier should know what needs to be done.

Being a kit it should be plug & play? With a 240 tire don't you have to shim the primary out a little so the front pully can be moved out, so the belt doesn't rub the tire and lines up with the rear pully? Your supplier should know what needs to be done.

My supplier is just sales guy and he sold kit and wheel from separate sources. Anyway, primary is now 1 inch offset so belt will go that end as planned. The problem seems to be that wheel hub takes belt too much left. Any idea how close to tire the belt typically goes when kit?

The belt can come close the the tire so long as there's no contact, what ever it needs for alignment. I assume new wheel spacers came with the kit, who is the manufacturer and have you checked their web site or contacted them? Bet the bike looks awesome with that tire. How bout some pic's after you get it fingered out.

Thanks for comments! Kit is from Motorcysle Products Consulting (MPC) and was last year in American Cycle Magazine. Supplier says the stock spacer should be ok but seems that's not true. Also break side calls specific spacer to be adjusted. Spacers we can make by ourselves but would not put wheel on lathe as first thing.
I can send pictures when job finished.

wow most wide tire conversions i have seen are as Choppers says bolt on no messing so to speak
You're right Hobbit but if you ever sit down and build a chopper or custom bike from scratch, you built it, then take you take it back apart and paint it, because all those bolt on's, don't always just bolt on:)

The thing is that those who sell wide tire kits in web, they do not consider all technical aspects. The spoke wheels seem to be kind of standard and they do not fit with all belt sprockets. What I needed to do is to buy new sprocket, billet alu, and machine it to get right clearence for belt. Naturally spacers are needed both sides.
Tranny end modifications are easy but then it comes to rear end and seat ... and sales guys have no glue about those.

Back