free website stats program Wide Tire Kit Installation | Harley Davidson Forums

Wide Tire Kit Installation

bwalsh22

Okay, I'm finally getting ready to install the Black Typhoon rear tire, as soon as the money comes in I'm placing the order. With that I am thinking I'm going to put the wide tire kit on the Bob.

Now my question, has anyone here done that? Any thoughts on doing this?

I'm thinking I probably could, but my only concern is wheel alignment. Any thoughts on the difficulty of this?

Else I think I'm going to have to find a local Mechanic cause I don't think I want to take it to HD.

Okay, I'm finally getting ready to install the Black Typhoon rear tire, as soon as the money comes in I'm placing the order. With that I am thinking I'm going to put the wide tire kit on the Bob.

Now my question, has anyone here done that? Any thoughts on doing this?

I'm thinking I probably could, but my only concern is wheel alignment. Any thoughts on the difficulty of this?

Else I think I'm going to have to find a local Mechanic cause I don't think I want to take it to HD.

You do not need to mess with wheel alignment when you remove and install a rear wheel.

Pretty simple to do. If you need stuff out of the manual to read ahead of time, send me an e-mail.

Jack the bike up till the bottom of the tire is just ready to leave contact with the ground. Make sure the bike is strapped down (when the wheel comes off, all the weight will shift to the front of the bike). Remove rear axle nut and the clip from the left side of the axle. Remove Lower shock bolts. Pull axle. If it has not been off before, you may need to beat it out, Thread axle nut halfway on before you beat on axle. Pay attention to the position of teh wheel spacers so you can put them back correctly when you reinstall the wheel. After axle is out, raise jack and bike. Make sure straps have slack and allow you to raise it. Slide rear caliper off rotor and off caliper guide on swing arm. Slide belt off pulley. Move wheel out from the rear fender.

Basically, the install is the reverse.

Apply a good coating of named brand anti-seize on rear axle before reinstalling. Try not to get anti-seize on tire. Its messy and can be dangerous.

Make sure all fasteners are torqued to specs.

Use red Loctite on pulley bolts and caliper bolts when you change wheel.

The alignment has not changed using this procedure. Alignment is only necessary if you move the axle adjusters to relieve tension on the drive belt. Dropping the rear shocks accomplishes the same thing without having the do alignment or adjust belt tension.

If you had to remove exhaust in order to remove rear axle, reverse the axle's direction when you reinstall it. Install it from the rleft to the right side. This will put the axle nut on the right, near the mufflers. Next time you go to remove the axle, you will have plenty of room as the exhaust will no longer be in the way.

Good luck

Thanks a ton, that is a great write up. Now I have the reason to go buy the jack too, since I figure the money saved by not taking it to the dealership or elsewhere will pay for this, and I have more confidence that it will be done right, even if it is my first time.

Thanks a ton, that is a great write up. Now I have the reason to go buy the jack too, since I figure the money saved by not taking it to the dealership or elsewhere will pay for this, and I have more confidence that it will be done right, even if it is my first time.

Check ebay for the Wide Tire Kit. There was a dealer selling the kit for under $250.00.

If you Street Bob is stock height, you won't need the kit. There is room under the fender for teh wide tire as long as your wiring is run and secured close the the fender sides. The tire by itself is under $170.00 at Latus HD.

If you get a jack, you will also need the Dyna Lift Adapter kit (98965-99
) available from Harley for about $25.00.

Okay, so I finished it all up, finally, after a few bumps in the road all seems okay. Had to put a Screaming Eagle tire on the front too, since I got a screw in the tire (great timing). Here are some pics. Install is pretty straightforward. I jacked it up with the Sears Yellow jack, removed the lower shock bolts to drop the tire down and carefully removed the tire. The dealer did the tire installation, along with mounting the the pulley and rotor, my job was simply putting it back on and installing the brackets.

Jacked up with Dyna Adapters, left side
IMG_0040.jpg
Right side with the Adapters - Bit of a pain, I had to jack it back up again, but no way with the Sears jack to jack it up with the kickstand down, it had to be up
IMG_0041.jpg
Underneath, with the old brackets
IMG_0043.jpg
New Brackets
IMG_0045.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg

Just a one more pic of the old bracket
IMG_0042.jpg

From the Rear
3024d1241050726-new_16_front_wheel_fitted-img_0048.jpg

From the Side
3025d1241050726-new_16_front_wheel_fitted-img_0049.jpg

Finished product with the Mustang seat, wide tire kit, black typhoon wheels.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the end result. The bike handles awesome, whether it be the wide tire or the new Screaming Eagles, either way the bike rides very different to me and I like it. :bigsmiley14:

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 103
Back