free website stats program Why Synthetic oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why Synthetic oil?

cacasal

The price of synthetic oil is roughly twice that of regular oil. Why would I want to run it in my motorcycle ? ( an air cooled V-Twin)

The price of synthetic oil is roughly twice that of regular oil. Why would I want to run it in my motorcycle ? ( an air cooled V-Twin)

Synthetic oil pumps/flows faster on cold startup and is less prone to breakdown in stop-and-go high ambient temp riding. The two extremes in the operating of your bike that have the potential to cause the most wear on your engine.

The link Lorne posted should give you some more insight.

Not to mention you can run it twice as long as regular oil so it all balances out in the end. As far as I'm concerned, less time under the bike means more time on top of it!

WHy would I want to BUY a 23,000 or more bike and DOUBT to use the BEST oil I could in it.

I remember glider and I LAUGHING over this situation... He saying, "spending that kind of money on a bike, then NOT wanting the Best Oil in it...
$ verses:$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:bigsmiley23:

I use the Best in MY Book...

They still sell RE-Claimed oil don't they:53::53::newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

I disagree . Valvoline VR1 (Petroleum version) has shown on numerous uoa, to be superior product. Even when compared to some high end synthetics

I disagree . Valvoline VR1 (Petroleum version) has shown on numerous uoa, to be superior product. Even when compared to some high end synthetics

If I'm not mistaken, that oil is not a V Twin formula. Why would you run an oil that's not formulated for and does not have the additives an air cooled bike needs?

From the Valvoline website:

The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.

I am anything but a mechanic, as most any long time member here will confirm, but for what it's worth: I used dino oil in my 06 RK and got close to 36K before it was destroyed. Well, that was cause I was a bonehead and crashed it...:small3d031: On my new Ultra, I have used only Mobile 1 V-Twin oil. Anyway, I have noticed a marked decrease in engine temp this year. Heavier bike, bigger engine, neither had cats and both had the same modifications. Can only echo what many others here have said, I think the synthetic is worth the extra money.

I'm praying I don't wreck the Ultra and the better quality lube will pay me back with many years of happy miles. Good luck with whatever oil you choose. Ride safe, and keep the shinny side up. I promise that will extend the life of your engine as well!!:bigsmiley12:

Last edited:
Because its better. As Smitty used to say, Your ride you decide.

Back