free website stats program Why did my transmission barf? | Harley Davidson Forums

Why did my transmission barf?

USMCCWO5

Well there I was, happy as a clam, getting gas in Gorman, CA (on top of the grapevine). I am in the shade drinking a gatorade, when I notice oil all over my right saddlebag, side cover, trans top cover, basically all over the top of the tranny and rear cylinder.

I thought at first it was an engine oil leak from the rear rocker cover. I wiped it all down, checked the engine oil, which was OK, and took off towards Clovis.

On the way back not a drop of oil leakage.

My estimate:
Hauling up the long grade at 80 -85 mph overheated the oil and it blew out of the tube on top of the transmission.

What is your thought?

Should I be concerned, I checked the oil and it looks clean and wasn't low.

Bike is 2007 FLHRC with 103 hot rod engine.

Agree with overfilling, are you sure it was trans oil and not engine oil that blew out the breathers from running that speed? More common for this than trans oil.

I am pretty sure of my diagnosis; however, I did check inside the air filter cover-it was dry and oil free.

I don't want to worry about this on the way to Sturgis in August. I would like to haul as fast as I want (safely of course) with passenger and gear.

Thanks for everyone on this forum. Can't describe how much I enjoy everyone's contributions.

did you check the oil level in the trany? I see you checked the engine oil, but why not check you other levels also? If everything checks out ok I would have to agree......must have been an over filled something......anything with too much oil in it is gonna puke it out till it's not over filled.

I see you checked the engine oil, but why not check you other levels also?

Yes, I did check the trans; however, that was later when I put a wrench to it. I haven't experienced any oil anywhere since then. Or the 1000 miles before this trip on the new engine. Thanks again everyone.

Yes, I did check the trans; however, that was later when I put a wrench to it. I haven't experienced any oil anywhere since then. Or the 1000 miles before this trip on the new engine. Thanks again everyone.

Try using Royal Purple in the tranny, ATF Type II in the primary and your regular oil in the tranny. That way you can tell by the color what is leaking. Purple it's the tranny, red it's the primary. Make figuring out leaks a lot easier.

Good call on the colors; I have Spectro in the trans now, which is red. Thanks for the tip, I just think my "old" shop overfilled the transmission.

Back