free website stats program who stamps vin numbers on custom bikes in indiana? | Harley Davidson Forums

who stamps vin numbers on custom bikes in indiana?

I have not heard of any state agency stamping numbers on frames, who ever build the frame will stamp a number on it and give you a cert. to take to the DMV with you to be titled.

i guess a better question would be this, if i ought a custom frame and built the bike myself, am i responsible for stamping the VIN on it after a number is issued to me.

you get the vin # from the state,and you go to a trophy shop,have them make a plate,and you put it on the bike,we`ve done a bunch of them over the years

Does the custom frame not come with a VIN? Just nosey, never bought a frame.

The frame comes with a manufactures number stamped in it along with a manufacturers statement of origin, the same with engine cases and transmission cases, you then build the bike and have it inspected by a shop, take all your paperwork and receipts to the notary, pay the taxes that may be due, send in for a special construction title, in return the state sends you a title and a VIN tag that gets rivited onto your frame and that is your VIN number. Hope this helps.

In Alaska they just take the number the manufacture stamped on the frame when they built it and they put that number on your title. You also have to show them the certificate of origin the manufacture sent with the frame.

it really should be uniform across the country,kinda scary taking a custom to daytona or sturgis.but like i said,ive done a bunch in indiana,so if you need to know,i can run you thru it,ive even got the forms

thanks for all the replies. ive got a custom bike with a title and vin and everything. i was just curious on the process. i considered building one. also considered buying a new frame for mine. all helpful info, thanks

Back