free website stats program who here has installed slip ons? | Harley Davidson Forums

who here has installed slip ons?

ashenfang

Hey guys, I have a new 08 883 sporty. My first upgrade to her is the exhaust, I was tired of it sounding like a moped. I looked at both vance and hines, and rush pipes, and decided on the rush slip ons with 2" baffles. The bike is stock otherwise, so I was told by the dealer I would not need to remap until I went to a SE air filter. Anyway....

It took me about 3 hours to get the slip ons off and on. I didn't have any instructions, but I installed them by removing the heat shields, clamps, and loosening the header bolts. I then removed the stock mufflers (boogers were on there), from there basically worked in reverse. Slid on new rush mufflers, lined up crossover ports, tighten header bolts, then the rest of the clamps. They look and sound great, but, I noticed that the heat shield on my rear pipe is off by about 1/4" where the end of the shield meets with the taper of the slip on. I have tried readjusting the shield, but its on right.....what exactly happened here? did I just slip in a "bit" to much of the pipe to the slip on? It tightened down okay on the header pipe, and I figured you would want to do that first to make sure it seats okay, then tighten down everything else from there. Any info appreciated!

well...thats what I thought. The dealer said, oh yeah....will only take ya 1/2 hour to put them on. LOL...I think it took 3 hours and lots of swearing. The front one looks good, its just that back one where the down taper of the muffler doesn't quite match up with the rear shield. I was just worried I didn't get the pipe in the header right, but another guy I talked to told me you really can't screw it up, just to keep it loose and as you tighten the head bolts, the flange will seat the pipe.

I have a 07 883l and last year put the Rush 1.75's on. No poping or lean problems. The plugs look just like they did with the stock mufflers. Leave the air cleaner stock and you will be fine. I was like you, I wanted my Harley to sound like one!

I have recently purchased a 89 883 with a 1200 conversion and it had SE slip ons already installed on it. I rode it that way for a few weeks and it sounded ok. This past weekend, I removed the baffles and man does it sound great. I have had no issues with it since it had already been rejetted. I was thinking getting a Vance and Hines system, but not now. Btw, when I put the front muffler back on, the heat shield was a little off also. After riding for a day or two, I checked it again and it was fitting as it should. Good luck.

I have recently purchased a 89 883 with a 1200 conversion and it had SE slip ons already installed on it. I rode it that way for a few weeks and it sounded ok. This past weekend, I removed the baffles and man does it sound great. I have had no issues with it since it had already been rejetted. I was thinking getting a Vance and Hines system, but not now. Btw, when I put the front muffler back on, the heat shield was a little off also. After riding for a day or two, I checked it again and it was fitting as it should. Good luck.

All bets are off as far as jetting when you remove the baffles from the muffler. It's just loud but doesn't run as good without them as you may think.

Not unless you do some damage by running lean.

BUT, they have to PROVE (with evidence) that the slip ons caused the damage. My dealer basically told me that IF you think you need to bring your bike in for work because of some problem, just throw the old slip ons back on to quiet any possible questions.

-edit

Thought I would update as well....I removed the back cylinder heat shield, clamps, slip ons and header bolts to see if I could get the 1/4" gap between the slip on and heat shield to go away.....but still the same. I found that there really is no adjustment, the slip on is either on or off. A friend of mine said its possible that the back heat shield is just a hair to long for those slip ons.....which I think he is probably right.

Back