free website stats program Which starter do you suggest? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which starter do you suggest?

I think my '97 Springer needs a new starter. The local dealership said the new starter would be about $300, I found one on ebay for $132(unused and new with seller has 99% positive feedback with over 2000 transactions) and I saw some on custom parts supplier's websites for $300-500.
My two part question is this, is the cheap one on ebay the same as the one the dealership sells?
Do the expensive fancy ones justify the extra cost by lasting longer and working better?
I don't mind spending extra money for something that is of good quality.

I would take your Harley starter into a local rebuild shop and get a quote. I know my rebuilder will do a Harley starter but I don't know what he charges. Also if he does your starter you should have it back in a day and you know that it is the right one and you have a local warranty. I am sure that it would be more then an eBay starter but much less then a dearler starter. Are the starters at te dealer remans or new.
kemo

I think my '97 Springer needs a new starter. The local dealership said the new starter would be about $300, I found one on ebay for $132(unused and new with seller has 99% positive feedback with over 2000 transactions) and I saw some on custom parts supplier's websites for $300-500.
My two part question is this, is the cheap one on ebay the same as the one the dealership sells?
Do the expensive fancy ones justify the extra cost by lasting longer and working better?
I don't mind spending extra money for something that is of good quality.

As those guys above have mentioned, you might want to explore the option of having your starter rebuilt. However, if you choose to go with a replacement, I would have no qualms with the unit on eBay as long as the P/N was a match for your bike. That should be posted on the eBay site, or if not, I would contact the seller and get that.

TQ

i got a new rear seat to go with my solo air ride it was an hd seat 17.99 plus 9.00 shipping . it was a great seat ,i was shocked on e bay

As those guys above have mentioned, you might want to explore the option of having your starter rebuilt. However, if you choose to go with a replacement, I would have no qualms with the unit on eBay as long as the P/N was a match for your bike. That should be posted on the eBay site, or if not, I would contact the seller and get that.

TQ

I'm going to call some rebuild places tomorrow, thanks. The ebay listing has the P/N listed and it is a match.

Also find out the latest revision as HD will update parts and if form, fit, function replacement be sure to have the full part number. This is because MOCO does have continuing improvement program, and only change is the latest revision part number.

I have big motors in my bikes so that narrows my choices.
The two I use is the compufire unit in my custom and a 2.4 kilowatt unit from the JP catalog for my FLSTF.
Both motors have compression releases in them that I use always.
I would get a 2.0 kilowatt unit then don't worry about hot days when starting.

Back