free website stats program which s&s Carb do i need for a 1985 fxstc?? | Harley Davidson Forums

which s&s Carb do i need for a 1985 fxstc??

ron1978

me and dad are replaceing carb on a 85 model softail, we want to run a S&S Carb on it but not sure whick one to buy, they have super g, super d etc..
please help if you can. thanks\

85 model have kickstart and electric start

Hey Ron, I have the S&S Super E and according to S&S that is the recommended carb unless you have a hopped up motor. So if you're running a 74 or 80 ci you should be good with the Super E.

Hope that helps.

Run an E on my 66,79 and 85. Worked well on all of them. Easy to tune IF you follow there instructions. Had a B on for a year or two but it is a longer carb and you hit your knee on it alot.

Type E carburetor is closest to the stock carb makes a lot of sense...have you contacted S&S tech support and someone who was in the know? Brand new carb is 'bout $315 on their website:

http://www.sscycle.com/product/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=20033

tn265s3.jpg

the E carb on my 80 1340 motor ,nice carb, jets are real easy to change if u have to.i did mine and never had a good success rate till thr s&s good luck

The S&S E is a very good choice for your bike. The S&S G has a larger bore which is more compatible with a 100ci or larger motor. Getting the G to run right on a 80ci motor for the street will drive you crazy. The S&S D is mainly a drag bike carb for raceing. I ran a S&S B on a 85' FXEF with great results. On my 88'FLST and now on my 98' FLSTC i'm runningthe S&S B and very happy with the carb.

Back