free website stats program Which Mobil 1 Gear Lube???? | Harley Davidson Forums

Which Mobil 1 Gear Lube????

jimgaulin

I have a 2008 Sportster and want to chance my primary/gear oil to Mobil 1.
The question is which one? They have two, 75/90 and 75/140.
When I shift my gears to me it sounds loud.Will the thicker of two be better??

Thanks for any help.....

I just changed mine out last week to the 75/140 in My 09 Heritage Classic. It made a huge difference on how smooth it is and so far no clunking

I live in a reasonably hot climate and i went to Mobil 75w/140.Made quite a difference which was just as well because it was only sold in 20 litre drums!(Spectro wasn't available here then)

Thanks for any help.....

Since Sportsters share the same fluid in both the primary and tranny you may not want to be using a gear lube. Dunno... haven't owned a Sporty in decades. I'd advise checking with your dealer or someone definitely in the know before I ended up with gear lube in my primary.

Thanks for any help.....

As your Sportster has an oil wetted clutch bathed in the same oil as tranny and primary chain...you do not need the low friction modifiers and extra slippery properties of 100% Synthetic Oil, it can even cause premature clutch wear due to slipping. Stick with Spectrol 85W HD Primary Gear Oil...

hdchaincase.jpg

Heavy Duty Primary Chain case Oil
This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag” and slipping. 85w R.GAPCL 12/1 qt bottles/case. :D

And here is Gliders' link to help you do the deed --

Harley Davidson Sporster trannyoil change:33:

Thanks for the info. i think...lol Now I have another one in the Spectro. I went into which (lube/oil) everyone uses and three are top choice.

Oh,and dealer said synthectic can be used.Only stay with it.

Thanks all for help....oorah:cheers

Back